Choose vBulletin or Xenforo: popularity

Hi, I am making my decision to purchase a forum software for my new site. I don't care much about functionality but instead I want to make sure my site has a best forum software in the near future.

Xenforo is growing, what is its usage compare to vBulletin now? marketshare? Is is going to beat vBulletin in the near future?

Do you have estimation how many new license purchases Xenforo have each day? and vBulletin? (now & future)

Thank you for reading my post.

Neither company publishes sales figures as far as I know. XenForo is thriving and moving forward. Coming to official support forums will give you biased answers, but several large forums have moved away from vBulletin to XenForo.

As Jeremy stated, sales figures are not made public. If you want the best forum software though, go for XenForo. It uses roughly half the server resources that vBulletin does, and I'm still converting lots of vBulletin forums to XenForo for customers. It seems that people are starting to realize that vB got as good as it gets a few years ago, and is just sliding further down the ****ter with every new release.

I haven't been there for ages, but the last time I checked their "Licensed customer feedback" area, it was full of people complaining about the state of the software.

If you are talking marketshare, my guess is that vBulletin has a bigger market share, simply because it is a more established software. Popularity is debatable, and very much depends on who you are talking to. As to what you should choose, you should figure that out for your own. Look at the demo for each, and see what fits you the most. If you have any specific questions, it would be better to ask those over a general recommendation.

vBulletin does have a large marketshare, but xenForo is rising in popularity.

However, you shouldn't base your decision around "which one has a bigger marketshare." You should make your decision based on what you think is best for your site.

vBulletin has been getting a lot of hackings left and right as of late. Then not to be outdone: vBulletin has been getting a lot buggier as they launch new software class (I.E. vB4 > vB5).

I can't see what market share has to do with deciding to use one or the other. Which to use depends on how good the features are for your particular project.
So this question does not belong in pre sales.

Is is going to beat vBulletin in the near future?

People here are nice, when they tell you, they might be biased...

I for my part now work with vB for ~10 years. Guess, why I'm here... I will be switching from vB -> xF soon.

My personel comment on vB is... There is an old wisdom from the Dakota indians: "When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount."

I upgraded to 4.0.3 and lost a third of user activity / page impressions / visitors. It took me a lot of time to get rid of the then-really-weird-design flaws which were mostly solved in 4.1. Guess I spend like 80 hours just on their bug reporting system JIRA . The 4 series proved then being stable and good from an admins point of view, but I still enjoy being on a 3 series vbulletin from the design perspective like in http://forums.macrumors.com/.

Most of the vB community will tell you pick xF too as most of that community are ppl that switched to xF and just still hang around the forums there cause they did for years and years,

Top Bottom