Lack of interest Check URLs in profile with URLs listed in spam phrases

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Biker

It would be a fantastic option to be able to have URLs that are listed in the spam phrases be cross checked against those URLs that are put into profiles and if there's a match, flag the account for checking.

We're having a devil of a time with spammers from India signing up and just placing the spam URL in their profile. As there's no posts, there isn't a check made against the spam phrases.

Upvote 0
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Actually we do check this on profiles.

Which fields specifically?

Have you got an example of the spam phrase you're using and actual content that is slipping through?

As an example, this is in the phrase list: *xinyanlaw.com

Yet they're able to put http://www.xinyanlaw.com/regenes-lift/ in the profile as a home page without the account being flagged.

I should also add that these are being added AFTER they create the account.
That's only relevant if they have exceeded the value of "Maximum Messages to Check for Spam" which is based on message count. Worth noting that if that is set to 0 then you have effectively disabled spam checks.

That said, if we're talking about homepage, here, this is as expected. It's mostly free-form text fields we target - so location and occupation aren't checked either.

Problem with checking spam in the homepage field is people will commonly use spam phrases not just to block specific URLs, but all URLs. Obviously checking that could be problematic in this case.

I'll move the thread back to suggestions, but realistically I'm not sure if changing this to cover those fields is the right thing to do.

Top Bottom