Lack of interest Check for duplicate attachments on upload

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Erm ... the users are uploading the same image to the same post twice and you want to notify them about this?
Do you honestly think they will notice that if they don't notice the same image appearing twice in the same post?

It would be even better if XF could have a hash of all images uploaded and if the same image is uploaded, to hotlink to the first one uploaded and disregard the 2nd. So, if an image was uploaded twice, it'd essentially only be stored once as the 2nd one would be trashed when comparing to all other images uploaded/uploading.

This could save some storage space on big boards when and if people use the same image over and over. I presume something like this is in effect on Facebook, etc. as it'd be ridiculous to store 1gb on the same meme, multiplied by millions of memes (sure, there'd need to be load balancing, but I highly doubt 1 picture is physically written 100,000+ times... right? :unsure:)

It would be even better if XF could have a hash of all images uploaded
This is the case and the data structures already do allow to share a single pyhsical file over multiple attachment ids, deduplication it's just not (yet) implemented.

This is the case and the data structures already do allow to share a single pyhsical file over multiple attachment ids, deduplication it's just not (yet) implemented.
If that's not already suggested, I think that @Joe Link should suggest that instead, even if it's uploaded within the same post as I've copied/pasted an image multiple times not knowing whether it was physically stored once or twice (obviously catching it and deleting it though). Deduplication would solve his issue as well as save storage space all around.

Top Bottom