1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Add-on Charge Users Upfront For Access, During The Initial Registration Process

Discussion in 'Resource and Add-on Requests' started by Deepmartini, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

Ability to charge for access to forum/site upfront during the registration process BEFORE guest becomes a member.

Right now, a person has to register as a free guest first then figure out how to upgrade their account. That works fine if you have a site with open forums and some premium upgraded forums. But what about if your whole site is premium and you want to charge for access upfront before entry?

I think this would be a popular addon for those people wanting to run a private paid membership forum.
    erich37 likes this.
  2. Brett Peters

Brett Peters Well-Known Member

Watching thread, Is this not possible out of the box?
    erich37 likes this.
  3. ragtek

ragtek Guest

4. Brett Peters

Thanks ragetek, That actually looks like it gives an option for premium or free accounts during registration :(
    I am not ready just yet but I will be needing a pay only option for membership which would include revoking all membership rights when payment expires.
  5. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Easily achievable with user upgrades.

Brett Peters likes this.
  6. Brett Peters

Thanks for the heads up, I have only just started looking into it now so I shall go and do some research on the option.
    Edit: The link provided does not reveal much on the subject :(
  7. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I thought about something like this to prevent spammers.
    Even if they fee was only enough to cover service fees.
    erich37 likes this.
  8. Deepmartini

Deepmartini Well-Known Member

That looks good but it's really just a splash page in between registration and you'll end up with a lot of dormant empty accounts when people don't pay. A better option would be to have everything all on the registration page with direct credit card authorization on that page. This wouldn't be user upgrading, it's more like charging a fee upfront for anyone to access the forum and become a member, so just one level of membership (and upgrades wouldn't be needed).
    erich37 likes this.
  9. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

that should really be a default XF-core-option rather than an Add-on.

would be also a great thing to fight spam.
    Deepmartini likes this.
  10. erich37

erich37 Well-Known Member

why can`t we just have something like this interface, for this feature ?

How does the current implementation look like when you are charging members? I do not have this in use, so not sure how it is currently working when having "Premium Membership" ???