Changing VPS

DaveL

Hi,

Im currently in the thought process of changing my current VPS to another provider.

What would be the quickest and easiest way of moving everything from my current VPS to my new one?

Thanks
Dave

Hi,

Im currently in the thought process of changing my current VPS to another provider.

What would be the quickest and easiest way of moving everything from my current VPS to my new one?

Thanks
Dave

When I moved from my VPS (unmanaged) to my dedicated server, all I did was copy the sshd_config/munin/php5 special configurations/and some other setting files over to /transfer in my home, then dumped my databases to files to /transfer.
Then from my MAC ran the following script (where the x's are my username)
Code:
#! /bin/bash
cd /Users/xxxxxxx
rsync -avz -e ssh xxxxxxxx@twowheeldemon.com:/var/www/apple4me ~/website
rsync -avz -e ssh xxxxxxx@twowheeldemon.com:/var/www/twowheel ~/website
rsync -avz -e ssh xxxxxxx@twowheeldemon.com:/home/xxxxxxx/transfer  ~/website

Then, after setting up my new server I just used SFTP to place the files over, and then moved everything where it needed to be, created identical DB names and imported the databases. Closed the original site for maintenance, updated DNS and once I saw that it was hitting the new server it was up and running.
Probably better ways of doing it, but this worked for me.

Thanks for the replies.

Looked in WHM but dont know how to access where it saves the backup files! Ive only got a few sites so will probably do it the old fashioned way and back up files via FTP and the MySQL database and do it manually!

if you go WHM to WHM, you need to use the account transfer feature. I recently used it to move all my sites over (including my largest 13GB site), and it works perfectly.

Assuming you're going to keep cPanel, it's very easy to use the built-in transfer feature. That will set up the accounts on the new server exactly how they were on the old. Use the "Copy Multiple Accounts" feature and every account will be transferred.

cpanel1.webp cpanel2.webp

You can also do a full backup (from within cPanel...not WHM) and then restore that full backup from WHM on the new server.

For me, the quickest way has always been to have the host do it. If you're not using a hosting service that offers migrations along with the new server, then you're using the wrong host. :)

For me, the quickest way has always been to have the host do it. If you're not using a hosting service that offers migrations along with the new server, then you're using the wrong host. :)

Really? How many dedicated unmanaged hosting companies you know of do it? I got unmanaged for a reason....so that its only my grubby little mitts playing with it. :p

Most unmanaged VPS hosts will not handle these types of migrations for you, just like they won't with dedicated servers. Shared hosting is a different beast entirely, and they will most certainly do the transfer.

OP did not specify unmanaged. I always use managed servers myself, because usually when something goes wrong I'm out playing frisbee with my kids or something like that, and I'd rather pay more to have someone who can handle things like that. Plus, they can do it faster and better than I can.

I use plesk daily, it has its advantages.

Also has its downsides... depends how many sites your hosting realy.

Thanks Slavik.

I was liking the look of plesk, however one huge downside is that i need to run WHMSonic & Shoutcast and that dosent appear to be supported with plesk .

Thanks Slavik.

I was liking the look of plesk, however one huge downside is that i need to run WHMSonic & Shoutcast and that dosent appear to be supported with plesk .

No it wont, nothing interchanges with Plesk / WHM.

Top Bottom