Lack of interest Changing Password from Profile page

This suggestion has been closed automatically because it did not receive enough votes over an extended period of time. If you wish to see this, please search for an open suggestion and, if you don't find any, post a new one.

Bionic Rooster

Hi guys,

When a user changes their password from the profile page there is a saved message but the page remains. This is confusing to many members because they think because the page didn't change, neither did their password. So they keep clicking on save changes button that causes more frustration for them because now they get an error saying their password is incorrect.

So could you please fix this so that after the password has been saved, the page goes back to their profile page instead of remaining on the change password page????

Thanks,

Upvote 1
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
@Adam Howard No add on it's this which takes you to the page you refer to
change password.webp

I think that's what they're referring to.

In any case, I personally think the confirming overlay message is enough.
The overlay message may be fine for you perhaps because you are used to and expect it. But for many members they seem to miss it and as it stays on the same page after saving, just about everyone not familiar with the overlay think it hasn't changed and click the save again. They get an error upon trying to save a second time and I get many emails requiring help with it. It would be a lot easier and less frustrating for members if the save page reverted back to their profile page after the overlay message.

The overlay message may be fine for you perhaps because you are used to and expect it. But for many members they seem to miss it and as it stays on the same page after saving, just about everyone not familiar with the overlay think it hasn't changed and click the save again. They get an error upon trying to save a second time and I get many emails requiring help with it. It would be a lot easier and less frustrating for members if the save page reverted back to their profile page after the overlay message.

Just create a thread with a small tutorial on how XenForo works if your members are having too many problems or make the overlay messages stay longer.

Just create a thread with a small tutorial on how XenForo works if your members are having too many problems or make the overlay messages stay longer.
Easier to make that tutorial than it is to get people to read it. LOL
My problem now is that I have converted from another forum software to xF. So none of the passwords work. Members have to reset their passwords from the log in overlay. Then after the confirmation email, and getting the new password, after logging in they go to change their password and the problems begin.
It would be easier for the dev's to put in a change page after saving changes code than it has been for members to change their password.

I'm not sure a longer display of the overlay would convince members it has saved the change when they have a page remaining saying "Save Changes", they think it hasn't saved because the option is still there.

Style Properties > Overlays and Tooltips
This would be your best option.

Even the most "simplest" and "anti tech aware individual", seems to understand the save notice the displays when you change passwords. I cannot imagine anyone not understanding something that simple and in basic English that says, "saved" and the meaning behind that. It can even be universally translated into every modern language.

It is for this reason, that I would oppose this suggestion. One of the cool things about XenForo is it does not add useless redirect pages like other developments have done. Thus saving on page loads, bandwidth, resources, and code.

Top Bottom