1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Changing Guest Pemmissions

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by Franklinhatchett, Sep 17, 2015.

1. Franklinhatchett

Franklinhatchett New Member

So I'm wanting to change guest permissions so they have to sing up to views specific nodes however I came across this https://xenforo.com/community/threads/force-user-register-to-view-forum.99340/

Basically when a guest views a thread I want a sign up form to popup like I see a lot of other forums. I also see these other forums have no issues with google crawling the site so there must be a way around it?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You can revoke the view permission on a per node basis for unregistered users.

upload_2015-9-17_8-30-24.png

3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Which are these other forums that can deny unregistered access, yet allow Google? I don't believe that is possible unless you can talk Google into registering on your forum.

Allowing google to index pages that are restricted to unregistered viewers would be extremely dangerous. Google might index you private admin discussions etc.

4. Franklinhatchett

Thanks but all the does is hide the nodes so if I was to activate that on all node the forum would look empty to any guest who visit the site. I've seen it on other forums when someone clicks on a node or section a popup tells them they need to sign up to view the section and that's what I'm looking for.

5. Brogan

No it doesn't.

The node and thread titles are still visible.

Clicking on a thread title will show the log in page.

6. Franklinhatchett

It does in my case. Whatever node I revoke it disappears for any non registed members or guest on the site.

7. Brogan

Which permission are you revoking?

This one?

8. Mr Lucky

This is what I do on a members only forum node:

Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 13.17.02.png
    Screen Shot 2015-09-17 at 13.15.48.png

(EDIT) obviously some of those revokes are irelevant if they can't actually see the thread of course)

• Guests see the forum in the Forum page.
    • If they click on the forum they see the list of thread titles, they see the list and get a notice to tell they must log in to read or post in that forum
    The notice needs to have user criteria: unregistered and froum criteria name of forum

If they do click on a thread, they will get the error notice, which is standard for trying to view something you don't have permissions for. You can change this phrase to whatever you want.

You can see it here:

http://cafesaxophone.com/forums/breakfastroom.6/

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  9. Franklinhatchett

Looks like this has worked for me.

Thanks mate

10. Mr Lucky

You're welcome. But Google will not get beyond the thread titles either. There's a chance of the titles being indexed but none of the content.