XF 1.2 Changing Domain Name

Lukas W.

Hey folks,

I'm changing the domain name of the server on which my XenForo Version is installed at the moment. Is there anything I need to change in advance/afterwards or can I just change the domain and everything is fine? (If i need to change something, what exactly? ;)).

I'm not moving the forum itself to another server, just the domain changes.

Thanks in advance!

The only thing you have to do is point the new domain to that root, change the domain name in board details, and change domain in customer area.

No particular order, too. :)

Although, my suggestion would be to re-name the "root" where the xenForo "sits."

Example:
Old site: MVC3Forum(dotcom) to MarvelVsCapcomForums.com meant that I changed MVC3Forum filename to simply MVCForums for simplicity.

As the FAQ explains, you may also need to implement redirects.

Can I change the domain or URL where the software is installed?
Yes, as long as you remove the original installation before installing it elsewhere. Ensure you update your account details in the Customers area.

How can I move my installation to a different directory?
Update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information and move the files to the new directory (or rename the directory). You may need to restart the server for the change to take effect.
Note that redirection will be required to ensure any existing links continue to work.
For example, if the installation is moved from the /community directory to the root, the following line needs to be added to the .htaccess file, after the default XenForo rewrite rules:
Code:
RewriteRule ^community/(.*)?$ /$1 [R=301,L]

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.php file with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the data and internal_data directories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Manual for more details.
Note also that redirection will be required if the domain name changes, to ensure any existing links continue to work.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

I've read that part of the FAQ, but as it is mostly (actually nearly completely) about moving the forum in any way and not just simply changing the url you are visiting it under, I just wanted to ask to be sure. As I'm with a server provider, the new domain will point to exactly the same root folder and everything, the only thing changes is, that the new domain will not be example.com but example2.com, that's all.

I've read that part of the FAQ, but as it is mostly (actually nearly completely) about moving the forum in any way and not just simply changing the url you are visiting it under, I just wanted to ask to be sure. As I'm with a server provider, the new domain will point to exactly the same root folder and everything, the only thing changes is, that the new domain will not be example.com but example2.com, that's all.
Just follow my instructions. It works, I've done it many times.

Top Bottom