Changing domain name

jackrouse

Due to copyright there may be a need for me to change my domain name, is it possible to point the new domain to an existing database, in order that my forum doesn't have to start from scratch ?

Also is it possible to run the two side by side for a few days with one licence ?

Can I change the domain or URL where the software is installed?
Yes, as long as you remove the original installation before installing it elsewhere. Ensure you update your account details in the Customers area.

How can I move my installation to a different domain or host?
Backup the existing database and server files. Copy them to the new domain/server and update the library/config.phpfile with the new database details as required. It may be necessary to set permissions for the data and internal_datadirectories to world writeable (CHMOD 0777). Lastly, update the Board URL in the ACP -> Options -> Basic Board Information, if it has changed.
Note that if you are moving to a different type of web server and have Friendly URLs enabled, you will need to make the appropriate changes. Refer to the Friendly URLs section of the XenForo Manual for more details.

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/frequently-asked-questions.5183/#post-180455

It's a simple change then, just follow the instructions above.

It isn't necessary to run two installations simultaneously during the change.
Just make the change and point the old domain to the new one so visitors to the old site are redirected, if you still have control of it.

Top Bottom