1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

XF 1.5 Change username

Discussion in 'XenForo Questions and Support' started by WareManu, Sep 9, 2015.

1. WareManu

WareManu Member

I want to let my users change their username. I know there is an add-on which costs ~$10, is it recommended to pay for such a feature or is it another way to go?

2. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

Without an add-on, they would have to request user name changes from an administrator.

3. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Sorry to appear nannying, but have you thought through the repercussions of letting people change their usernames. It can get very confusing for other members.

I do let people change their name if requested, but I put a temporary user title , e.g. "formerly known as..." so other members know who is who. just saying...

4. WareManu

WareManu Member

Yes, I have thought through that and I want something automated.
    It would be perfect if there was a name change history button on the profiles and of course some limitations of name changing (cooldown).

But... what do you guys recommend me to do?

5. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

There is a history in their ACP profile. Be sure to disable the pruning option, though, if you want to use it as a username history.

KHF Name.PNG

6. WareManu

WareManu Member

Yes, but the thing about that change log is that it is not public.

7. Amaury

Amaury Well-Known Member

You could create a custom user field and then send a conversation to members with their username history, if they want to keep track and ask you.

8. WareManu

WareManu Member

I think I will go for the Change username add-on, it seems like the best option.

9. Mr Lucky

Mr Lucky Well-Known Member

Not have it automated, or if it is get something that shows publically who they used to be.

Do you have so many users wanting to change their names that you need something automated?

10. M@rc

M@rc Well-Known Member

11. Brogan

Brogan XenForo Moderator Staff Member

You will need to post in the dedicated thread for any support with it.

12. Mouth

Mouth Well-Known Member

Works fine for me.