Change the breadcrumb arrow color (default style)

Neil E.

Searches only come up with Shelley's dazzling breadcrumb resource. I'm just trying to change the default arrow color. I have no problem changing the breadcrumb colors. Here's what I currently have in EXTRA.

.breadcrumb
{
background-color: #ffefd6 !important;
border-top: 1px solid #ffcb6b !important;
border-right: 1px solid #ffcb6b !important;
border-bottom: 1px solid #ffcb6b !important;
border-left: 1px solid #ffcb6b !important;
border-radius: 5px 5px 5px 5px !important;
}
/* ~style breadcrumb border and non-link background area~ */

.breadcrumb .crust a.crumb
{
color: #602800 !important;
background-color: #ffefd6 !important;
border-bottom: 1px solid #ffc675 !important;
}
/* ~adjust link background and border bottom to match rest of breadcrumb~ */

.breadcrumb .crust a:hover
{
background-color: #ffe7c0 !important;
}
/* ~darken link background on hover~ */

.breadcrumb .crust .arrow
{
border-color: transparent #ffefd6 !important;
}
/* ~left side of breadcrumb arrow~ */

.breadcrumb .crust .arrow span
{
border-color: transparent black transparent #ffefd6;
}
/* ~breadcrumb arrow area~ */

.breadcrumb .crust:hover .arrow span
{
border-color: transparent black transparent #ffe7c0;
}
/* ~breadcrumb arrow hover~ */

I'll look at Firebug to see if this could help for now, but if you ever think of creating this screenshot reference, and if you need a hand in that, feel free to contact me.

You give me too much credit. I only know some of this by spending hours searching for it. Keep in mind that the CSS exists in many templates. This keeps it relative to the template it relates to (message_user_info.css vs message_user_info as an example).

It's better to get familiar with the template structure, use SP as best you can, then use EXTRA for a few tweaks. My EXTRA is quite massive. I have wondered if there would be any advantage to using some core TMs to strip out all the CSS so that EXTRA would be the only CSS.

The more you change stuff, the harder everything becomes at upgrade time. Having the means to customize everything can take you down the rabbit hole. I'm still trying to find my way out.

It seems too many people learn this way here... and when you follow links to some of their forums started a couple years ago, the page is blank. It is discouraging, but also intimidating. I've spent hours too on just ONE small modification, just because the information is all over the place. And not just once. I would rather learn another way, even more so when you're doing this for a client.

I think the main problem (one that I faced many times) is that it seems nobody has been able to present Xenforo in a visual way that makes sense. It's still a young software, so I hope over time this will become fixed. If it was freeware, then we'd be on our own probably, but since we're paying for a license, I think we are right to expect more support, not in terms of quantity, but quality, focus.

I use SP as much as I can, as that's the way they recommend using it. But more and more I'm wondering if it's the best way - first, although the templates are in alphabetical order, the SP are not. Which is very strange, and not at all practical. Then, you have a few SP that address the same areas, and a chart would be so helpful. I would think they'd want to sell more licenses, and this could level the learning curve quite a bit.

It is obvious that Xenforo is not for beginners, it requires a knowledge of html and css, and a crash course in their own coding language. Which happens as you wrestle with it endlessly and hopefully meet others going through the same thing, and some who found hacks.

I may sound like I'm criticizing Xenforo negatively, but I'm not. I totally love the software and only wish for it to be more intuitive, and for the moderators to find ways to gather the right tools to help people. Sadly it seems there is only a small number of developers who can help right now, and they all have their own work too. I understand that. But waiting 24 hours or more between answers on an ongoing edit (for example: how to reduce the space between two elements on a page), or being told to modify an element in a certain way, without being given a context of where that element is located, or how to find it, that just doesn't make any sense.

Can you imagine how it would be if they had these charts, and a clear way to explain how it all connects? We'd be building Xenforo forums for many more people. And more newbies would spread the word, and it would bring more developers, and a bigger knowledge base would be built, etc.

I'm looking into Firebug right now, and trying to include it as a tool. But if you have any question regarding your own situation, feel free to ask. Maybe I met an answer somewhere, or could help tack it down.

Regards,

Andre

This is really getting off topic for this thread now but most of the issues you are facing are to do with knowledge of HTML and CSS and not specific to XenForo.

XenForo uses standard HTML and CSS markup for the most part, so if you want to adjust the visual appearance of something, it's simply a case of searching for the class and editing it, either in the original template, via Style Properties (where available), or by overriding it in EXTRA.css.

This approach is not unique to XenForo.

With regards to styling and customisation, any support provided in this forum is entirely community based.
Yes, some of the staff help out by answering questions and providing solutions, tips and guides, but we aren't obligated to.

As a starting point, I would recommend this site: http://www.w3schools.com/

Once you understand the basics, it will become a lot easier to make styling related changes.

Andre, I have to say that this Xenforo forum is awesome for support. Here the answers are great. The support is patient and they even reply in greater detail when asked. Sometimes I post a question before I've worked it through myself, and the answer has been posted here before I get back to edit my own topic.

Considering all the ways that XF is intended to be modified, some questions will not have rapid answers. I'm amazed that total newbs get help so quickly. I knew nothing about HTML and CSS when I came to XF, but just kept stumbling along until I could make sense of it. You will find that actual software problems get answered quicker than questions about styling or page layout. As users we create most of our own problems.

Brogan has hinted about this wandering off topic. I was going to say the same thing (he posted while I was typing). It's time to let this topic go back to sleep. Over and out for now.

Brogan, I don't understand - there is no support provided for the software beyond struggling members trying to help one another, and the staff isn't "obligated" to help? That's not something I would have assumed actually. We all have to start somewhere, and some staff here were just like me at some point - and they benefited from support from the top. I do find those threads inspiring, some dating back to 2010.

Yes, Neil, there's a lot of answers on the forum, and amazing people ready to help. My reply should have highlighted this too. Having wrestled with Xenforo for weeks, and finding so many others in the same situation, I'd like to see how things could be made better, easier for those coming after us. And for myself too in the future, when I suggest Xenforo as an outstanding solution to a client.

And I think we've identified a real need - charts showing the connections of elements to the actual CSS files to be modified.

Peace out,

Andre

p.s. I've been working with CSS since about 2004. So it's not that I don't know CSS, I just find it confusing to try and find which CSS file I should be modifying to see the results.

Support is provided in the form of official ticket support (albeit not for styling or customisation issues naturally).

Any posts on the forum are done entirely voluntarily and in addition to official support.

Once again, this is off topic for this thread so let's leave it there.

Top Bottom