Change language

raytrails

This might sound kinda stupid, but still. When I change the default language in admin control panel I still have to manually change it in the bottom left of the forum.

Why doesn't it automatically change in frontend when I change the default in backend?

The assumption is that if you are viewing the forum in, say, English and the admin decides that the default should be German, it would be bad to arbitrarily change the output to German.

Ouch. So there are no options "forcing" the users to only use the default language? In our case it's not English, and there are no reasons whatsoever to even have the english language available since it's a forum strictly for our native language. We even have a Q&A in our native language.

You can do it with an SQL query.

UPDATE xf_user SET language_id = 1

Where 1 is the ID of the language you wish to set for all users.

Then set the default language and/or delete English and all new members will automatically use that language.

The assumption is that if you are viewing the forum in, say, English and the admin decides that the default should be German, it would be bad to arbitrarily change the output to German.
Well...if an administrator made a forum, it necessary will be in only one language... I dont want to have a chinese user posting in my english forum.

Thinking on spanish forums, there are few possibilities to have foreign language users on them.

There should be an option to "set this language for all users"

Isn't this usually done by having the user setting set initially to "default". If an admin changes the default language then user's language changes, but the user always has the option to choose whatever language he or she desires, even before a default change.

Last edited:
No, as that would trigger the "arbitrary change" part of my comment.

If you don't want a language to be available, you can just remove it and that will change the language. My comments are specifically in relation to when the default language (which applies to new users and guests) is changed.

Oh, while I'm on my horse, ;) consider changing the style named "Default Style" to "Original Style" or something similar to disentangle it from the phrase "default style" that refers to the style that visitors view, which may not be the style named "Default Style".

Please, it is possible to call the board with a special language-id for guests?

Something like this:

German Page: a href = index.php?misc/language&language_id=2
English page: a href = index.php?misc/language&language_id=1

Yes, it is if not logged in. But logged in i got an error message, probably because of a missing token? Is there a way to get rid off this, please?

---------------------
I have some more ideas:

It is possible to save two titles for a forum?
Depending on the language like
1. "A Title" and 2. "Ein Titel (geman)?

Or maybe it is better to divide the languages, then i should have every forum two times in german and english.
Then it is possible to show the english people only the english boards? (Show_Forum depending on language_id) or just change the order (Show_Forum_sort depending on language_id)

Last edited:
Top Bottom