XF 1.1 Change Default Avatar

PetSue

We have males only on our forum so we don't need the unknown/male/female avatars.

I've made up a new one we would like to use for everyone that hasn't added their own in the 3 sizes & have added them to the Avatar directory.

My question is - am I able to turn off the unknown/male/female avatar & just use the one I've added and if so how?

Thank you :)

You can simply overwrite or rename the 3 sizes for the male avatar in the /styles/default/xenforo/avatars directory. That'll then display them for all users who haven't yet uploaded an avatar. You could do the same for the others in case someone doesn't choose male for their gender to ensure consistency.

Hi! I've followed these instructions and overwritten the default avatar with a new image, not only in default but in all theme avatar folders, but the old images are still showing. Do I need to rebuild a cache? Re-upload themes? Could this be related to CloudFlare's caching of static content?

Is there a way to change the default set of avatars besides just overwriting them in the xenforo/avatars folder? Just dont want to do this each upgrade sou would like to chnage the default avatar directory to "styles/default/custom/avatars" instead of "styles/default/xenforo/avatars".

Can't seem to find it anywhere is the templates except for in "help_bb_codes" template where is shows:
Code:
<xen:set var="$bbCodeExampleHtml">[IMG]{xen:helper fullUrl, '&#8203;@imagePath&#8203;/xenforo/avatars/avatar_s.png', 1}[/IMG]</xen:set>
<xen:set var="$bbCodeEval">[IMG]{xen:helper fullUrl, '@imagePath/xenforo/avatars/avatar_s.png', 1}[/IMG]</xen:set>

Is there a way to change the default set of avatars besides just overwriting them in the xenforo/avatars folder? Just dont want to do this each upgrade sou would like to chnage the default avatar directory to "styles/default/custom/avatars" instead of "styles/default/xenforo/avatars".

Can't seem to find it anywhere is the templates except for in "help_bb_codes" template where is shows:
Code:
<xen:set var="$bbCodeExampleHtml">[IMG]{xen:helper fullUrl, '&#8203;@imagePath&#8203;/xenforo/avatars/avatar_s.png', 1}[/IMG]</xen:set>
<xen:set var="$bbCodeEval">[IMG]{xen:helper fullUrl, '@imagePath/xenforo/avatars/avatar_s.png', 1}[/IMG]</xen:set>

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Style Properties -> General -> Path to Images

That woudn't really work well because of what I mentioned here(btw, love the insert quote):

One small issue is that after I set the Path to Images on that style to "styles/mystyle", some default XenForo images that i did not need to change or haven't found yet obviously stopped working because their default location is "styles/default". To fix the problem I just copied the xenForo styles folder to "styles/mystyle/xenforo". I would have to do this each upgrade (if something changed), but is there a better way to do this?

So I went back to use the default image location so that I don't have to update the xenForo folder with new image after certain upgrades. Now I just keep custom images in here "styles/default/mystyle". Lol, was the older way the better way to go?

Update:

Now that I think about it, it's probably is better to have a default image location folder set as "styles/customstyle" and just copy the xenforo image folder into that. That way you can at least control which image to copy to the default folder instead of it automatically overwriting something important with an upgrade.

Last edited:
Top Bottom