Change complete structure of forum - Tips on moving topics

c00kie

Hey Guys,

I have a forum with approx. 150k of topics, spread over 25 forums... We also have a content site, with the same categories, and 5k of own written articles...

For a real major release, we want to change the complete structure of our content site, wich results in a complete change of the structure of our forum categories... Why? Everything is linked to each other :(. The structure exists since 1999, so it really needs a change, a lift up :).

How do you, experienced forum admins, would manage the amount of topics to be moved from "old forum x" to new structure "forum y"?

It is a lot of work, so i want a system wich makes it very easy to do the moves...

Kind regards,
c00kie

Hey Guys,

I have a forum with approx. 150k of topics, spread over 25 forums... We also have a content site, with the same categories, and 5k of own written articles...

For a real major release, we want to change the complete structure of our content site, wich results in a complete change of the structure of our forum categories... Why? Everything is linked to each other :(. The structure exists since 1999, so it really needs a change, a lift up :).

How do you, experienced forum admins, would manage the amount of topics to be moved from "old forum x" to new structure "forum y"?

It is a lot of work, so i want a system wich makes it very easy to do the moves...

Kind regards,
c00kie
Batch update threads based on prefixes/description etc.

25 forums is a lot. Use prefixes extensively.

25 forums is a lot, but 150k of topics a lot more :). Prefixes can help me in advance, that is true...

yeah i know.. But the problem is that the new structure is more "in depth" than the current...
Now it is:

Category 1
Forum 1​
Forum 2​
Forum 3​
Forum 4​
Category 2
Forum 5​
Forum 6​
Forum 7​
...​
the new structure will be the same BUT all the new forums can contain topics from Forum 1, 2, 3, 4 .... so every topic should be "read" and "moved"...

Last edited:
Good luck sounds like a difficult if not impossible task. I have hundreds of forums and want to get them down to a few - it’s not easy.

Prefixes, keywords in titles, and entire forums to similar forums. Other than that just leave it where it is. Did this once and the older content is not an issue unless it is bumped and you can move it then.

Top Bottom