Not planned Change collation of Databaseroe username

Hoffi

In fact, there is a problem with UTF8-general_ci with umlauts and other special characters, it makes sense to change the collation from the username column.

Please change it to UTF8-bin to make it more compatible.

For Instance, here at this forum I can't register named Höffi or hôffi but there exists no one. Only this ony from me called @Hoffi .

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
Please change it to UTF8-bin to make it more compatible.
This won't happen. That's case sensitive (and also accent sensitive).

Your issue is accent sensitivity, but I don't think you want "Hoffi" and "HOffi" to be different people. What you want can really only be done with a custom collation I believe. Alternatively, you may want to suggest accent-sensitive, case-insensitive collations to MySQL.

But, let's take a deeper Look into this, instead of putting this easy away into closed suggestions.

Maybe UTF8-bin is not the best choice, but yes. It should be possible to create a User Höffi. It's different enough to let this happen.

MySQL's collations are accent insensitive. This means that to them, when you say ...WHERE username = 'Hoffi' it will return a row with a value of "Höffi". Removing the unique constraint on usernames (which would technically allow this) could potentially create security issues or at least create broken situations (places where people are unable to login due to MySQL not returning the correct data).

Top Bottom