Implemented Change blank page while installing addons/rebuilding templates.

This suggestion has been implemented. Votes are no longer accepted.
Cosigned!

I'm absolutely not sure why such a modification hasn't been shared yet. The blank page is so annoying. Hopefully some generous coder will share such a modification with the community!

J.

Cosigned!

I'm absolutely not sure why such a modification hasn't been shared yet. The blank page is so annoying. Hopefully some generous coder will share such a modification with the community!

J.

We seriously need a plugin for this.....all my members are online as well and bam they think we shutdown etc.

Agreed!

Perhaps people will do this if everyone interested pools money, thats how a lot of the bigger addons have gotten made, with great quality I may add.

I remember someone stating it probably won't be a core feature (can't remember why) but hopefully someone makes an addon solving this issue as I would rather a simple text message stating upgrades/maintenance than nothing at all.

~ Sign ~

I think I've suggested this about a dozen times, including calling it a "bug" .... Was always told that it is "as design" or "design flaw" . ..... Depends on which member of KAM was talking

Would love to see this resolved. On vBulletin, phpBB, IPB, and even WordPress you can install or edit without everything going "poof"

Is there a way to give them "something to do" (some content, etc.) while Xenforo is working ? (but it won't interfere with the admin process)
Is there a way to display a message from the admin ?

This should be in core. If no template can be rendered (=empty), a customizable error page should be shown (via a redirect, since templates are out of order at that time).
It is also not too complicated to code.

This is an VERY easy fix.

Step 1)
Create a wonderful individually customized HTML page named sorry.html and place it in the root of your servers web directory.
Important: Even if you installed XenForo into a subdirectory, sorry.html always has be placed in web server root!
This file will be shown to your visitors, if XenForo templates are not available (during recaching, addon installation, etc, etc). The blank white page will be gone forever! ;)

Step 2)
Open the file /library/XenForo/FrontController.php

Right after line 201:
PHP:
            $this->_response->sendHeaders();

add the following line of new code:
PHP:
if ($content == '') {$content = '<body onload="self.location.href=\'/sorry.html\';"><h1>We are working for YOU!</h1><p>Please come back later.</p></body>' ;}

Overview: After you added that code the situation in /library/XenForo/FrontController.php would look like:
PHP:
            if (is_string($content) && $content && !ob_get_level() && XenForo_Application::get('config')->enableContentLength)
            {
                $this->_response->setHeader('Content-Length', strlen($content), true);
            }

if ($content == '') {$content = '<body onload="self.location.href=\'/sorry.html\';"><h1>We are working for YOU!</h1><p>Please come back later.</p></body>' ;}

if ($content instanceof XenForo_FileOutput)
            {
                $content->output();
            }
            else
            {
                echo $content;
            }

Save /library/XenForo/FrontController.php and you're all set.

Bye, bye, white blank page. :)

This is an VERY easy fix.

Step 1)
Create a wonderful individually customized HTML page named sorry.html and place it in the root of your servers web directory.
Important: Even if you installed XenForo into a subdirectory, sorry.html always has be placed in web server root!
This file will be shown to your visitors, if XenForo templates are not available (during recaching, addon installation, etc, etc). The blank white page will be gone forever! ;)

Step 2)
Open the file /library/XenForo/FrontController.php

Right after line 201:
PHP:

add the following line of new code:
PHP:

Overview: After you added that code the situation in /library/XenForo/FrontController.php would look like:
PHP:
            if (is_string($content) && $content && !ob_get_level() && XenForo_Application::get('config')->enableContentLength)
            {
                $this->_response->setHeader('Content-Length', strlen($content), true);
            }

if ($content instanceof XenForo_FileOutput)
            {
                $content->output();
            }
            else
            {
                echo $content;
            }

Save /library/XenForo/FrontController.php and you're all set.

Bye, bye, white blank page. :)
Wow! Great share! Exquisite directions.

I've just created my page at http://jpicforum.info/unavailable.html which has a meta-refresh every 15 seconds that loads the JPiC portal --- Now the blank, white page is replaced by the new, custom page = NICE!

Someone should maybe post this workaround in the resources section maybe? I'd be happy to, sharing a custom page that folks can use, giving full credit for the code to you HWS...

Anyway = Thanks so much! You're officially AWESOME!
hug.gif

J.

Wow! Great share! Exquisite directions.

I've just created my page at http://jpicforum.info/unavailable.html which has a meta-refresh every 15 seconds that loads the JPiC portal --- Now the blank, white page is replaced by the new, custom page = NICE!

Someone should maybe post this workaround in the resources section maybe? I'd be happy to, sharing a custom page that folks can use, giving full credit for the code to you HWS...

Anyway = Thanks so much! You're officially AWESOME!
hug.gif

J.
Been awhile since I looked at it but wow your forum is beautiful!

Someone should maybe post this workaround in the resources section maybe? I'd be happy to, sharing a custom page that folks can use, giving full credit for the code to you HWS....

I'll post in in Resources as soon as I've time for it. ;)

This needs to be implemented in the core product, since it tampers with the _run function of FrontController and must look like a gruel hack for Mike. :)

Top Bottom