XF 2.1 Censoring Unacceptable Words

Alfuzzy

Can someone please verify for me where in the XF 2.1 AdminCP words or phrases can be entered so they are censored/blocked from being seen when visitors visit the site...or when members create thread posts?

It's seems (I think) when my site was migrated from vB 4.2.5...the censored words settings/area didn't migrate to XF...and it looks like I may need to re-populate it.

The area I think I found for doing this is:

AdminCP > Setup > Options > Censoring

Is this the correct area for this...or is there another or additional area for it?

Thanks

One more quick question please. If I add words to be censored now...will XF only censor those words going forward (from this second forward)...or can/will unacceptable words from past posts & past threads from years ago also have these words censored with *****?

Thanks

The words are not censored in the post and saved in the database like that - they are censored when the post is viewed.

So whatever you enter in the censor now will apply to all posts, no matter when they were posted.

If the censored word is subsequently deleted from the censor, the words will appear normally.

That sounds awesome...thanks for explaining.

I did try adding a few words to the censored list (for a few threads that were brought to my attention)...before asking my last question above. I added the singular form of a word (let's say it was cat) to the censored list...and when I refreshed the thread in question...the bad-word did not disappear.

Turns out the bad-word was the plural form cats (not cat)...and not until I added the word cats did it get replaced with **** after I refreshed the page.

Let's say the desired censored word is cat (and any derivations) of cat:

• cat
  • cats
  • cat's

Is there a shortcut way to censor all of these "similar" forms of a word...or singular & plural forms of words...with a single entry in the censored area...or does each one need to be added individually?

Thanks

As the explanation text on the censor page explains:

Code:
If you wish to match a wildcard at the beginning or end of the matched word,
add a "*" in the correct position. For example, "dog" will not censor "dogs" but "dog*" will.

Last edited:
For example, "dog" will not censor "dogs" but "dog" will.

I don't actually understand this example. It says..."dog" will not censor "dogs" but "dog" will.

Both "dogs" in that statement look exactly the same to me...thus not sure how the 1st "dog" doesn't work for censoring "dogs"...but the 2nd "dog" does.

I hope we're not talking smart quotes vs. dumb quotes...or curly quotes vs. vertical quotes...because the quote symbols in the statement for each of the "dogs" look exactly the same to me.

Thanks

I don't actually understand this example. It says..."dog" will not censor "dogs" but "dog" will.

Both "dogs" in that statement look exactly the same to me...thus not sure how the 1st "dog" doesn't work for censoring "dogs"...but the 2nd "dog" does.

I hope we're not talking smart quotes vs. dumb quotes...or curly quotes vs. vertical quotes...because the quote symbols in the statement for each of the "dogs" look exactly the same to me.

Thanks
Dog will censor dog because it is an exact match
Dog will not censor dogs because it has the added "s", if you want to censor dogs then the word dogs must be in the censored words.
Otherwise "dogged" would be censored also because it contains "dog"
Make sense?

Top Bottom