cdp solutions needed

Mike Law

Hi,

I need to move away from the traditional backups and start using CDP, my current datacenter has it as an option but they use V2, which means is does a full server backup (25GB) NOT what I need.

I need a solutions for continues backup and restore points of data as well as mysql database,

Anyone?

I use rsync for daily offline backups, but to do that continuesly 24/7 would put enormous stress on the server.
I rather use cdp incremental with restore points but do not want to dedicate one of my servers excl. for this and I don't have the benefit of NAS.

I use rsync for daily offline backups, but to do that continuesly 24/7 would put enormous stress on the server.
I rather use cdp incremental with restore points but do not want to dedicate one of my servers excl. for this and I don't have the benefit of NAS.

Yes, thats what i meant, use rsync incrementals.

Alternatively, use rdiff. Either way it will add load to your server, no avoiding that unfortunately.

You say you want to move away from traditional backups... I guess the question is, do you have the infrastructure in place to do so, and the need to do so?

Well, I do not want to dedicate one server solely to data storage, so I am hoping there is a good solutions out there for a monthly fee.
This is not for my forums but a commercial website, 3 data-center servers and 2 local for testing.

Well, I do not want to dedicate one server solely to data storage, so I am hoping there is a good solutions out there for a monthly fee.
This is not for my forums but a commercial website, 3 data-center servers and 2 local for testing.

I dont know of any 3rd party solutions that would involve anything different than paying for some webspace and using one of the already mentioned options.

Does this solution need failover protection, so should your 1 server go down the other will automatically pick it up? If not, then again, do you have the need to move away from traditional backups? What do you gain by doing so apart from a slightly less lagged redundancy in case of a worst case scenario.

If not, just pick up a secure FTP repository, local or otherwise, and use rsync / rdiff to mirror your mission critical files over to it with an x-time incrimental backup.

Yeah I guess that is best for now,
I looked into some hosting sites offering the service, taking away the hassle of having 1 more thing to monitor.
I guess what I ideally need is hourly database backups that doesn't overwrite, and use my current offsite backup daily/weekly/monthly for storage.
I am not worried about the site files, minimal changes there and we use SVN for that anyways.

Ah well, thanks for pointing me in the right direction...!

Top Bottom