CDN (not maxcdn)

Adam Howard

So I'm looking for a new CDN provider. MaxCDN has had a few small issue, namely I've told them to only cache my stuff for X amount of time, but they never seem to get that right. As a result people change avatars and the only way anyone will ever see that change is if I flush the cache manually.

Their live support seems to have been discontinued. That is the button is there, but it ends with # in the link and nothing happens when you click on it.

So time to start fishing....

I'm thinking between

http://www.stylexnetworks.com
http://www.cdn77.com

But am always open to suggestions. :)

I use cdn.net. Haven't had an issue so far, and I like how it support multiple zones and their prepaid billing configuration (I live in Hong Kong but MaxCDN charges extra for Asia CDN so that put me off a bit)

never had problems with maxcdn or cdn77 for cache TTL...

Only time i can see this happening is if you have a front end proxy of some kind which either rewrites the cache TTL or strips it i.e. cloudflare, incapsula or varnish cache in front of your web server. In that case the problem is with the proxy and not the cdn service :)

never had problems with maxcdn or cdn77 for cache TTL...

Only time i can see this happening is if you have a front end proxy of some kind which either rewrites the cache TTL or strips it i.e. cloudflare, incapsula or varnish cache in front of your web server. In that case the problem is with the proxy and not the cdn service :)

incapsula, but never had this issue until the last week or so. Been using them (or cloudflare) for a few years now (and a full year with MaxCDN without issues).

Must figure away to make CDN work with incapsula or be forced to drop CDN.

Either way, the price for MaxCDN is not as competitive as the alternatives, so still fishing for possible outcomes.

looks like you don't even have proper browser level caching (mod expires) configured

i.e.

http://cdn.sociallyuncensored.com/data/avatars/m/0/1.jpg?1372212618

DateFri, 28 Jun 2013 11:26:57 GMT
Last-ModifiedWed, 26 Jun 2013 02:10:18 GMT
ServerNetDNA-cache/2.2
ETag"25a032a-1f2e-4e00525b588ba"
X-CacheHIT
Content-Typeimage/jpeg
Accept-Rangesbytes
Content-Length7982

no cache control configured - so double check your maxcdn settings for cache control and also check server side web server config settings, either or both ends are missing cache control settings

or is that by design right now ? so you don't cache avatars ?

if avatars need faster cache purge, set a shorter cache TTL (expires) just for /data/avatars directory

Last edited:
looks like you don't even have proper browser level caching (mod expires) configured

i.e.

http://cdn.sociallyuncensored.com/data/avatars/m/0/1.jpg?1372212618

DateFri, 28 Jun 2013 11:26:57 GMT
Last-ModifiedWed, 26 Jun 2013 02:10:18 GMT
ServerNetDNA-cache/2.2
ETag"25a032a-1f2e-4e00525b588ba"
X-CacheHIT
Content-Typeimage/jpeg
Accept-Rangesbytes
Content-Length7982

no cache control configured - so double check your maxcdn settings for cache control and also check server side web server config settings, either or both ends are missing cache control settings

or is that by design right now ? so you don't cache avatars ?

if avatars need faster cache purge, set a shorter cache TTL (expires) just for /data/avatars directory
For now I've disabled mod expires (by design) to help with the cache issue. MaxCDN is doing all the caching.

For example, the avatar you quoted, I changed.... It shouldn't be a red fox. It should be a yin yang, but its still cached as the fox. It will not change until I flush the cache in MaxCDN

Capture.webp

Their live support seems to have been discontinued. That is the button is there, but it ends with # in the link and nothing happens when you click on it.

I use them for one of my websites and have never experienced the issues you are reporting. Also their live chat (floating widget button at the side of the page) seems to work without issues for me. Which browser are you using / which live chat link?

Good luck with your search though!

Top Bottom