Not planned Categorization of Templates

Lee

I love XenForo and all, but there is one fairly major flaw that is annoying me quite a lot right now.

The way the templates are handled in the ACP.

If I was running this, which I am not, so feel free to ignore me ;), I would categorize the templates.

Por Examplé:

Global Templates
page_container
xenforo.css
header
header.css

Forum View Templates
Forum List
forumlist.css

Topic View
Topic view
topicview.css

User Profiles
Status Updates
User Profiles
profiles.css

Well, you get the idea now. I could go on for ever. This way I think it is much easier to find what you are looking for and makes it much easier for designers to achieve what they want because they are not spending so much time rooting round looking for things.

:)

Upvote 6
This suggestion has been closed. Votes are no longer accepted.
This is especially going to be needed with modification templates.

Yes, I agree. The list is just going to get so long winded it will take most of the skinning time to root through the templates to find what you are looking for.

For me, modification authors should have an option of creating a new template group or adding in to an existing group.

What you think, devs?

Seems a bit of a shame to be calling them on this as well. They DO have a lot on their plate right now.

Part and parcel of running a business though, would you not agree? I see nothing unusual happening at XenForo that doesn't happen to hundreds of businesses every day. I don't think its very fair to bring that up all the time.

I am entitled to voice my opinion just as you are entitled to disagree with it. I voiced that I was a little disheartened that a suggestion that was made, which I deem to be very important to the conversion of my forums, wasn't even acknowledged. But, it is the weekend, so I will give it a few more days! I am just eager to get playing - and the lack of organisation in the template manager is making it just that little big difficult for me right now. ;)

Part and parcel of running a business though, would you not agree? I see nothing unusual happening at XenForo that doesn't happen to hundreds of businesses every day. I don't think its very fair to bring that up all the time.

I am entitled to voice my opinion just as you are entitled to disagree with it. I voiced that I was a little disheartened that a suggestion that was made, which I deem to be very important to the conversion of my forums, wasn't even acknowledged. But, it is the weekend, so I will give it a few more days! I am just eager to get playing - and the lack of organisation in the template manager is making it just that little big difficult for me right now. ;)
There are only two developers who at present are also being sued and have to answer that suit. It's not like they have others who can handle the paperwork for them. We are all eager to get playing but give them a break.

And no, I don't think being sued IS part and parcel of doing business.

Lee please realize that they do read all of the suggestions, even if they don't post in the thread. However, this is the weekend, and they have families. :)

There are only two developers who at present are also being sued and have to answer that suit. It's not like they have others who can handle the paperwork for them. We are all eager to get playing but give them a break.

And no, I don't think being sued IS part and parcel of doing business.

Like I said, we're entitled to express our opinions wherever we like. But I am not going to fight with you about something that is totally irrelevant.

Lee please realize that they do read all of the suggestions, even if they don't post in the thread. However, this is the weekend, and they have families. :)
Yes, I appreciate that - as I said in an earlier post. ;)

Not really missing it personally, but good suggestion for the next version (I doubt it's going to be in the first).
You're likely right. But as long as it would be included that is all I am bothered about.

I just feel for a product with such potential, a whole lot more could of been done for the more advanced template editors.

I understand the sentiment, but there is often big disadvantages to this, particularly when you get into situations where the group a template would belong to isn't obvious. You need to consider when you know the name of the template you're looking for and when you don't. There is the title search, but I don't know how many people actually use that (if I know what I'm looking for, I tend to scroll to it).

Are you having problems finding things in particular?

I understand the sentiment, but there is often big disadvantages to this, particularly when you get into situations where the group a template would belong to isn't obvious. You need to consider when you know the name of the template you're looking for and when you don't. There is the title search, but I don't know how many people actually use that (if I know what I'm looking for, I tend to scroll to it).

Are you having problems finding things in particular?

I have been yes. But nothing right now that I haven't been able to eventually find. I tried using the search feature to find what I was looking for, but I find that the titles aren't always what I would expect them to be, so searching isn't always the best. :p

I can understand where you are coming from with the "misc" templates. But could a work around for that not just be creating a "misc" group, for none specific templates?

Would like to see this implemented in the near future. It the group isn't obvious, maybe it can have "Miscellaneous" group?

The problem with searching is that we don't know exactly the term to search for.

But then if you filter, it filters on the category names, and not the templates within them ..

So they have to be categorized within the template list (already expanded, not collapsed/folded)

Top Bottom