Categories Not Shown In Search Engines?

You realise that Google doesn't use keywords in meta tags?

http://www.mattcutts.com/blog/keywords-meta-tag-in-web-search/
I disagree with this even though this is straight from Google. Why? A lot of niche websites are using meta tags and half the time they rank high because of the meta tags. This is true especially if you have wordpress. All in one SEO plugin + Wordpress tags = Killer SEO.

The way that I see it, meta tags in blogs or forums would mean collateral traffic.

It has been a month since the release of 1.1.1, so I would reckon soon.

Resources and Enhanced Search has been rolled out recently, which culminates to an impending release.

The Resource Manager and Enhanced Search have little to do with the 1.1.2 updated as the former isn't available to customers yet and the latter is a paid add-on.

The Resource Manager and Enhanced Search have little to do with the 1.1.2 updated as the former isn't available to customers yet and the latter is a paid add-on.
Who said that it has to do with anything? I'm just saying that both have been released in a shape or form, which eliminates that "to-do" list.

• Right-to-left layout mode for Arabic (etc.) language support (not sure)
  • Thread prefixes, definable at a per-forum and a per-user group basis
  • Warnings for trouble-making users
  • Ability for members to ignore other members
  • Custom user profile fields
  • Daily statistics
  • Admin CP search
  • Improved admin and moderator logging (could use some more work, but still)
  • Additional thread viewing permissions (not sure)
  • Criteria-based user group promotions (not sure)
  • A notice system to display messages to your users in certain circumstances (not sure)
  • Our attention will also return to the Big Board Search Solution and Resource Manager that we mentioned in our development update back in May.
See, most of the to do's are done! :p

Brogan, I know that you hate me and shun anything I say or post. It's obvious. But it's gotten to a point where it's annoying to say the least.

I understand that, this feature is cool and Brogan already pointed this out for me. The problem now is that when you set your site to treat categories as pages it does just that as far as the title of the page is concerned and showing it in the serps. However, it does not show the proper description for each category in the serps as you have set it in your admin.

If anyone is unclear of what I am referring to here are some images.

This display the correct category description as set in the ACP.

View attachment 23929

This is what is shown in the google Serps.
The description is wrong, it shows random stuff related to the site and not the actual description which in turn effects my site's rankings and overall impact of SEO on the site.

View attachment 23930

looking at your screenshot, is it possible with XF to have the "Category Description" showing as "Tooltips" rather than showing the text outright? Same as we already have for "Forum description" ?

I've already fixed it for the next release (so that descriptions of categories end up in meta descriptions, provided you show them on the "thread" list page).

when having the "Categories" set to be shown as "Pages", then the "Category Description" is not showing at the "Category-Page".
Is this what your fix is fixing?

I've already fixed it for the next release (so that descriptions of categories end up in meta descriptions, provided you show them on the "thread" list page).

Looks like this issue still hasn't been addressed in the latest release.

Top Bottom