Cardinal Bergoglio elected as new Pope (Francis I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hydrix

BBC News said:
  • Cardinal Jorge Mario Bergoglio has been elected as Pope Francis I
  • The new pope will be the first pope to hail from from the Americas
  • News greeted with joy by thousands in St Peter's Square
  • The new pontiff will replace Benedict XVI who stood down last month for health reasons
  • Pope Francis I is the first pope from the Americas, and the first from outside Europe in over a thousand years.

Live coverage: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21777747

Thoughts on the election?

The Catholic Church finds itself at a difficult time, whilst Pope Benedict set the way for change, Pope Francis still has a lot of work to do to bring the Catholic Church back to its reputable standing.

Thank you SO much for contributing to the discussion. Although I did ask for thoughts, this generally requires the participant to move the discussion onwards. I.E: if you don't have anything to add, keep your mouth shut.
No need to get hostile, pal. You asked a question, you got my answer. But please do try and make me keep my mouth shut in an open discussion thread.

(...) Pope Francis still has a lot of work to do to bring the Catholic Church back to its reputable standing.
Yes instead of child molesting it's back to good old gay bashing :ROFLMAO:

He strongly opposed legislation introduced in 2010 by the Argentine Government to allow same-sex marriage. In a letter to the monasteries of Buenos Aires, he wrote: "Let's not be naive, we're not talking about a simple political battle; it is a destructive pretension against the plan of God. We are not talking about a mere bill, but rather a machination of the Father of Lies that seeks to confuse and deceive the children of God." He has also insisted that adoption by homosexuals is a form of discrimination against children. This position received a rebuke from Argentine president Cristina Fernández de Kirchner, who said the church's tone was reminiscent of "medieval times and the Inquisition".[7]

Seriously? This is huge even if you have no interest in religion at all. They've just elected a new leader for a 5th of the world's population.
Couldn't care less. In fact it's hilarious to me that people do care.

Seriously? This is huge even if you have no interest in religion at all. They've just elected a new leader for a 5th of the world's population.
Seriously. It's just my opinion and feeling on the matter. I'm not saying everyone else should feel the same way. Just stating how I feel about it. That is all.

What I have to say about the clergy, church and religion in general should be left unsaid.

However.... I wonder what's going to happen to the first person who says, "Lighten up Francis!". :D

You touch my stuff, I'll kill ya!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Bob
Seriously. It's just my opinion and feeling on the matter. I'm not saying everyone else should feel the same way. Just stating how I feel about it. That is all.

You clearly have some feelings on the matter or why would you post? That's like Brogan going into random support threads and posting randomly that he can't help :p

You clearly have some feelings on the matter or why would you post? That's like Brogan going into random support threads and posting randomly that he can't help :p
yes, my feelings are that I don't care. I don't know how else I can make that any more clear :-P

Without the "I."
Just Pope Francis. He is a monk.

I'm sorry? Without the "I"? He is the first, and has been announced as Pope Francis I.
He is against same-sex marriage. No wonder, given his religion.
But not against homosexuality itself.

I think that the Catholic Church does need to be radically modernized, with Pope Benedict XVI lifting the ban on condoms perhaps Pope Francis I will rectify the Church's stance on homosexuality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom