Cardinal Bergoglio elected as new Pope (Francis I)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think that the Catholic Church does need to be radically modernized, with Pope Benedict XVI lifting the ban on condoms perhaps Pope Francis I will rectify the Church's stance on homosexuality.

I beg to differ. Benedict XVI stated condom use should be acceptable in limited circumstances. As in preventing HIV infections. Nowhere did he do away with the church's standard on condom use.

I'm sorry? Without the "I"? He is the first, and has been announced as Pope Francis I.

No, he has clearly been announced as just "Pope Francis".

The "I." has been added by the media, because they seem to think it has to be that way. You will almost certainly never see or hear it officially in vatican documents or speechs. Even the media will recognize that soon and stop doing it. It is a symbol to use a name the first time and spare the "I." out.

FYI: Most popes using a name for the first time didn't call themselves "the First". The first pope who used the "I." intentionally was "John Paul I." in the year 1978. He died 33 days after his election.

No, he has clearly been announced as just "Pope Francis".

The "I." has been added by the media, because they seem to think it has to be that way. You will almost certainly never see or hear it officially in vatican documents or speechs. Even the media will recognize that soon and stop doing it. It is a symbol to use a name the first time and spare the "I." out.

FYI: Most popes using a name for the first time didn't call themselves "the First". The first pope who used the "I." intentionally was "John Paul I." in the year 1978. He died 33 days after his election.

I believe his official title as the first stands at I. If not I stand corrected.

I beg to differ. Benedict XVI stated condom use should be acceptable in limited circumstances. As in preventing HIV infections. Nowhere did he do away with the church's standard on condom use.

Yes, that should be limited use. However it is a move in the right direction. Originally I believe he said it was for male prostitutes.

While I'm not catholic, I recognise the significance of the election and the Pope. From what I've read and heard so far, they seem to have picked someone that can hopefully appeal and relate to populations across the globe - a success in my book!

Sorry, but really couldnt care less who was 'elected'. As far as I'm concirned (based on my own personal research) there simply is no place in this world, or any other world for religion to exist anymore.

As corny as it sounds. Watch Ancient Aliens (the program with the 'Aliens' meme guy). Put asside some of the wackjob theories they put forward, and in the few sensible episodes you start to see what they are grinding on about.

Before anyone gets on their high horse, these are my own personal views (which I'm entitled to). I make no judgement on anyone who doesn't share these views, and fully respect each individuals religious beliefs.

Damn, the devil has been working hard.

I am very hopeful for His Holiness Pope Francis. I did not know about him, but from doing some research it seems he is very educated and is a no nonsense type of guy. He is also conservative (not in the political sense) which means there will be no adjustments made for homosexuality.

I for one am getting kind of tired of the sexual abuse crap that people keep talking about. While we would all like these things to not happen, the truth is they are human just like you and I. They were born into sin just the same.

You do have the choice to believe in anything you want to believe in, but let me leave you with this. If it were not for the Catholic Church, the humanitarian and financial support that goes out across the world would be very little. I have a post around here somewhere with the links to support this, I do not feel like searching again, so you can do it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom