Card details stolen! Again!!!

Slavik

XenForo moderator
Staff member
********it.

Just having a rant to myself here, a few weeks ago one of my debit cards was cloned somehow, the guy went on a nice spending spree and brought himself some nice goodies. At the time the card was cancelled and a new one issued.

Today, i've checked my account, and bam, someone this very morning has brought something for £1190!!!!

Now... my concern is how is the person lifting my cards... since getting the new card, I have used it as 2 cashpoints, one a tescos, the other at morrisons, morrisons petrol station and thats it!

Online, I have added it to my paypal account, my wow account and thats it.

One would say, keylogger? But nope... scans showed up nothing (took hard drives out and scanned them from a live disk with latest eset, ad-aware and spybot), and even then I have a lot of money in my Paypal account... so if they had me keylogged why didn't they empty that?

Grrrrr. fortunately im covered... but this is so irritating....

I would say it's one of your WoW add-ons or someone has found a loophole in WoW. A long time ago, when I had the time to play it, my account was hacked and all I had was the (now unnecessary) QuestHelper add-on. I always used different passwords, and I'm on Linux, so I can't catch a Windows virus or logger.

I would say it's one of your WoW add-ons or someone has found a loophole in WoW. A long time ago, when I had the time to play it, my account was hacked and all I had was the (now unnecessary) QuestHelper add-on. I always used different passwords, and I'm on Linux, so I can't catch a Windows virus or logger.
Only very sophisticated and sometimes almost undetectable rootkits.

All payments are not done ingame, they are done through battle.net.

Also, as the addons are open source... so a keylogger via an addon is highly unlikely, plus, I program all my own addons, and any 3rd party addons I use, I often edit myself so would notice anything suspicious.

Only very sophisticated and sometimes almost undetectable rootkits.

This was my thought, but if that were the case, why hasn't my second bank been affected. Or my paypal for that matter.

I am starting to think my card has been cloned at the petrol station or similar...

This was my thought, but if that were the case, why hasn't my second bank been affected. Or my paypal for that matter.

I am starting to think my card has been cloned at the petrol station or similar...
Report your suspicions to the police. They may have received similar complaints and yours could be the icing on the cake for them.

Get 2 cards, 1 for daily payments, one for online payments. (suggestion)
And both cards should come with additional security options?

Most banking companies provide security layer of protection(s).

You might also want to program this habit into your brain: Delete cache every time you finish browsing the internet. 20% of the time your buying habits are via cookie information - websites you visit, sites you go to, and purchase. The little details are in the cookies, so erase tracks every time you buy something online. Do this periodically that works for you.

Secondly, buy things from sites that transmit its information through a secure line. Most of these sites tell you so.

Get 2 cards, 1 for daily payments, one for online payments. (suggestion)
And both cards should come with additional security options?

Online, both require to be verified by visa before any payments can go through. Hence I think they have been cloned IRL at some point.

Online, both require to be verified by visa before any payments can go through. Hence I think they have been cloned IRL at some point.
Hm. Next time you give a card to someone, WATCH what they're doing.

If that person goes into the back or goes behind something, snap your fingers and say "Give me that." Go elsewhere for that product.

These people have something to hide, so do this.

Oh, and finally, be careful which ATM kiosk you're using. There are ATM kiosks that skim your information. A fake ATM kiosk exists today for thousands of dollars.

I'd assume it's the gas station. I know of someone that had his card information stolen in a state in which you can't pump your own gas.

A better reputable gas station (like Shell) is better than the one that's owned by a sole proprietor.

No reputable gas station is going to allow skimming, in the slightest.

Top Bottom