XF 2.1 Can't upgrade database for Emojis

Jillian

I am having some issues getting emojis to work. My hosting company says that I cannot change my database, as per the xenforo manual, to get emojis to work. I am on a shared server so they want me to pay more to upgrade to VPS hosting and then they can do it. But that's way to expensive and not an option.

So what options do I have? Is there another way to get emojis?

It sounds like you don't have shell access (which is common with shared hosting) but your host just doesn't want to run the command to convert the database.

My advice would be to switch hosts to one which will run that command - it literally takes seconds.

It sounds like you don't have shell access (which is common with shared hosting) but your host just doesn't want to run the command to convert the database.

Mt advice would be to switch hosts to one which will run that command - it literally takes seconds.

They told me it takes root access. So maybe I will try a support ticket instead of a live chat and see if they can do it. If not then I will look at switching hosts. I am not happy with site5 who took over Ixwebhosting. They want money for everything.
Thanks for the help.

I am having some issues getting emojis to work. My hosting company says that I cannot change my database, as per the xenforo manual, to get emojis to work. I am on a shared server so they want me to pay more to upgrade to VPS hosting and then they can do it. But that's way to expensive and not an option.

So what options do I have? Is there another way to get emojis?
First of all, I would like to state that vps or server is a must for xenforo. In shared hosting, the baby forum has suffered a lot. Then we got our own server.

You can also solve problems with emoji when you switch to your own server by using the following source.

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/error-cmd-php.172275/

I wrote how I solved my own problem today.

A VPS is really not required for smaller forums.

Many shared hosting packages are perfectly acceptable.

I use it myself without issue, and although it's a "one man band" operation, the service is second to none and beats many, if not all, of the well known providers.

Top Bottom