1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixed Cannot create new style when APC cache is enabled

Discussion in 'Resolved Bug Reports' started by Andy Huang, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Well-Known Member

I'm noticing that I cannot seem to create a new style when I have APC cache enabled.

Error Message:
    Replication procedures:
    1) Enable APC caching
    2) Make sure cache is written into APC already (visiting any page should do this)
    3) Go Admin CP and try to create a new style

2. DSF

DSF Well-Known Member

I can not reproduce this

3. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member

It looks to be dependent on APC version. It only lets you set a cache value once per script run? That seems really baffling to me.

I can try to workaround it here, but there's no way we could guarantee that it wouldn't happen elsewhere. Seems like a mis-feature to me.

4. Vladislav Rastrusny

Vladislav Rastrusny Active Member

Andy, what's the APC version?

5. wwwicked

wwwicked Active Member

I had this problem earlier today, after installing APC last night. It will depend on the version of APC you're running, as I understand (this will probably happen with 3.1.3 or later). The solution that worked for me was adding the following to php.ini:

Code:
    apc.slam_defense=0
    According to the PHP manual, slam_defense is deprecated, but it still seemed to do the trick for me. An alternative would be to use an older version of APC.

6. Andy Huang

Andy Huang Well-Known Member

will give this a try later, thanks!

7. Scott

Scott Active Member

It's not per script run but per second, there is a lot of CPU overhead from the shared user cache. It's along the lines of, if you had to set it twice, why not just set it to the end value in the first place.

8. melbo

melbo Well-Known Member

I had the same thing on APC 3.15. I removed APC info from config.php and installed the style fine.

9. Mike

Mike XenForo Developer Staff Member