Can we see some other XenForo themes?

Deepmartini

This default theme is nice but hard to read. Where can we see some other color schemes? Can we make our own buttons? Is there an easy change color wheel tool we can use in the admin panel to make changes?

I like "theme" too, I always hated "skin" for the same reason you mention, and I always had to explain style, as in style-in-other-words-the-look-of-the-board. Theme is self-explanatory.

The thing about XF, is that the basic toolset/infrastructure makes it unbelievably easy to skin.

Mark my words: There will an incredible profusion of skins/themes (what are we going to call them btw? As the early users we get to make that call yes?) for XF. jQuery + CSS is an incredibly potent combo for design/layout, once the 3rd party skin/theme (I think I like theme better, less gruesome collateral images ;) ) designers get rolling they are going to knock your socks off with options.

IPS calls them skins, Jelsoft called them styles. Perhaps XenForo should go with "themes."

And on a slightly related note, one of the things that's nice with the IPB 3 series is IPS provides a very simple skin generator to licensed customers. It basically takes the default skin and lets you recolor everything in one step. So you can very quickly generate a dark skin, a green skin, a red skin, etc. A lot of people like to simply stick with the default skin, but recolored. And I have a feeling XenForo customers might be the same... Keep the general looks in place but offer a few color variations. I'd hope to see a similar skin generator for this service.

IPS calls them skins, Jelsoft called them styles. Perhaps XenForo should go with "themes."

And on a slightly related note, one of the things that's nice with the IPB 3 series is IPS provides a very simple skin generator to licensed customers. It basically takes the default skin and lets you recolor everything in one step. So you can very quickly generate a dark skin, a green skin, a red skin, etc. A lot of people like to simply stick with the default skin, but recolored. And I have a feeling XenForo customers might be the same... Keep the general looks in place but offer a few color variations. I'd hope to see a similar skin generator for this service.

Jelsoft calls them styles ;)*.

I just call all 'themes' skins because I did Winamp and OS skinning long before I did webdesign.

Let's just call the styles, themes, or skins ... whichever you have personal preference for ... 'EyeCandy'. Simple, to the point, and really all a 'theme' is. Besides, it would be unique. :D

I don't care what anyone calls it elsewhere so long as it's self-explanatory in the dropdown list - meaning, someone looks at the list and gets that they change the appearance of the board with it. I'm afraid that if "Eye Candy" is the name on the list of themes, people will think it's a selection of Flash animations or links to the board's Swimsuit Issues or a "Men of xenForo" calendar. And then they will be sorely disappointed to find out that no, it just changes the board theme.

I've never used the term "skin". I always use "theme".

I like theme too, but it seems XenForo uses "Style" by the looks of the footer. It doesn't matter to me either way, since I use whatever terminology the software uses depending on where I post, although they're all used interchangeably I don't think people would get confused anyway.

The point of having a light and simple design is so that the developers can quickly and easily add new functionality without having the additional headache of trying to make it match the theme of the site.

Look at the trouble we encountered with just a new post icon....

Plus, it also allows the functionality to stand out, not the design. However, having said that, I rather like this design in its own right.

Yes, much better to add things if you like, than have to spend days figuring out how to remove stuff. If you (plural) want to make a Vegas Strip out of your board, have at it - but don't stick the rest of us with all that clutter from the get-go. :)

Isn't the dropdown list the only place that would show up publicly? So you'd just need to change that to "Default Theme" instead of "Default Style"? Or "Default Eye Candy" or "Default Skin" or whatever.

Erich37 - the only value to me is not having to explain what a "style" is. But it's not any kind of a major issue... hell I don't even know why I'm still talking about it. :)

Isn't the dropdown list the only place that would show up publicly? So you'd just need to change that to "Default Theme" instead of "Default Style"? Or "Default Eye Candy" or "Default Skin" or whatever.

Erich37 - the only value to me is not having to explain what a "style" is. But it's not any kind of a major issue... hell I don't even know why I'm still talking about it. :)

you guys are all THINKING as coders, webmasters, people who are actually living within the internet for the last 15 years.

Go and ask a person on the street if he understands what a "Theme" is.
Go and ask a person on the street what a "Style" is or what he thinks what "Design" means.
Please feedback your results.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

you guys are all THINKING as coders, webmasters, people who are actually living within the internet for the last 15 years.

I'm not a coder, unless you use the term very very loosely. I don't like "style" because I have to append an explanation to it for people even less clued-in than I am, a la "you can change the style, which is the color and overall look of the board."

I do think people would get "theme," but of course the most basic userfriendly term would be, "board colors."

I'm very interested to see how others use this. I'm very excited to see how my users will react when I'm able to convert the current style over ;)

I think xenForo has some neat features. Another great way to take a designer's skill and push it to the edge and beyond.

Top Bottom