Can we maintain same url structure of forums/showthread pages and migrate to XF ?

XFR00z0

We need to maintain the same URL structure of forums/showthread pages currently live on vbulletin.
IF this cane be done automatically, its awesome or we can go ahead and do the same manually as well if possible.

We have several forums and now VB is going out of control with less third party development support.

The URLs are different.

There are redirection scripts available to ensure old links continue to work.
Hi Brogan,
We have lot of topics, not looking to re-direct each and every old url *(vbulletin) to new url 8(xf)
Instead if there is a way to retain the same url structure either automated or manual (manual we can do the same)

No, the URL structure is different between XF and VB.
Cant we manually change the url stucture once the import is done ?
Example vbulletin link:
example.com/topic1.html
example.com/topic2.html

After xenforo import it may change to:
example.com/topic11.html can we manually change this number to example.com/topic1.html
example.com/topic23.html and this to example.com/topic2.html

Hi Brogan,
We have lot of topics, not looking to re-direct each and every old url *(vbulletin) to new url 8(xf)
Instead if there is a way to retain the same url structure either automated or manual (manual we can do the same)
You don't manually re-direct each topic. XenForo handles redirections, if even simple regex URL rewrites can handle them.

Still not a perfect solution or unable to understand same..

our requirements: (from vb to xf)
example.com/top1.html

to render exactly as: (via vb to xf)
example.com/top1.html

We did large CMS migrations from wordpress to drupal, and soo on, but never had this issues.

Getting back to url structure, after importing vbulletin data, can't we manually go and change thread ID and post ID to have same structure.

After this we can surely manage url structure?

We will start with 1 firm initially, then migrate our free more forums.

What is the reason you absolutely need to maintain the same URL structure? If it's simply to ensure those URLs go to the correct thread/post/profile etc. then that is all handled, both for redirection and for SEO.
As our setup was badly effected by Google algorithm changes, we lost massive natural traffic.

we have links from high quality sites, don't need to break that.

we have links from high quality sites, don't need to break that.
that's why there are such a thing as rewrite ability. The exterior link has one structure... your HTTP server receives that structure from the click, re-writes it to the current structure and then directs them to that page. There are no "lost links"... they still reach the page they originally would have, only in an XF standard structure on the address bar showing up. There is NO need to match the old layout exactly.
For most standard packages that are converted to XF, there are existing rewrites... if you were using vBulletin and the VB SEO package and did some funky custom rewrites in it, it is a little more difficult but still "doable".

Guys thanks for reply, but as mentioned above, I am not talking about URL re-writes (my bad for confusion), I meant we require same thread id, member id, not different, thats important

Guys thanks for reply, but as mentioned above, I am not talking about URL re-writes (my bad for confusion), I meant we require same thread id, member id, not different, thats important
Why exactly is it "important"? Do you have some type of third party page/application that depends on that specific structure format? If so, then you are probably going to be out of luck unless you re-code that 3rd party process.

Top Bottom