Can we customize the emails that go out to include a message?

Gorgeous

With the emails that go out to subscribers, can we edit the template to include branding, message and additional fields? I find it quite annoying when I receive an email from a forum and all I get is notification that a new topic was posted, but no hint as to the content, if it was a reply and what the information is. Attempting to make this as easy as possible for those viewing on handheld devices to just hit reply and be able to participate in the conversation without having to go to the vague link, login and THEN reply. I like how FB works where you can reply to a comment without having to actually go to FB.

Yes, you can add content in via an option and can edit the templates directly to include other additions that you would like.

You cannot reply to the email and have your message posted, however. It may be possible using an add-on, but I have not seen one.

I find it quite annoying when I receive an email from a forum and all I get is notification that a new topic was posted, but no hint as to the content
Options -> Email Options -> Include full message text in watched thread/forum notification emails.

You can check that out via the online demo.

Ok. Thinking this through... I see good reasoning for not permitting this. I think the problem with replying by email is spam as this will make it a lot easier for people to spam discussions as they can automate it. I'll check the demo again. Also researching some templates to purchase. I like some of the ones there. Thank you for the quick response. I think what is in place will suffice.

From a webmaster perspective, you're better off making them visit the site to see the content. If they're forced to go to the site to see the reply, then they're more apt to reply again on it (which will send a notification out to others, etc.. to keep the cycle going).

Yes, you can add content in via an option and can edit the templates directly to include other additions that you would like.

You cannot reply to the email and have your message posted, however. It may be possible using an add-on, but I have not seen one.
Thinking about developing such an add-on. It has many problems though, such as auto-response with emails, messages that are moved from their original place after the email was sent, and many other problems like that.
If that would ever produced, it would be quite limited. In terms of security/spam that's not really a big deal.
It's a traffic killer anyway, and I don't really know why would one use it.

I like the idea of teasing them with a taste of the content and pushing them back to the site. Gets them engaged and draws them back in. You know they're going to see other threads they want to read!

I like the idea of teasing them with a taste of the content and pushing them back to the site. Gets them engaged and draws them back in. You know they're going to see other threads they want to read!
I like this idea, it seems the only option at the moment is to either have the full text of the message or nothing at all apart from a notification that something has been posted.

I would like to be able to have just a couple of sentences excerpt of the post. Is that possible?

I have not seen such an add-on. If you need it, you will most likely have to commission it to be created. Depending on the developer you hire, the cost will change.

Top Bottom