Can this bilingual forum be achieved with minimal customisation?

LynForum

Hello, I have narrowed down my forum software decision to xenforo and the multisite add-on is the helping to seal the deal. I want to know if the following can be achieved with minimal development as I don't want play with code too much and don't plan to spend much money.

I am building a bilingual forum and have decided the best way forward is to have 2 related sites for example: en.mysite.com / fr.mysite.com.

The sites will have similar look and structure just mainly the topics will be different.

@XCentral

1) with multisite add on can these 2 sites share logins, users and stats but have their own New posts section and even categories?

2) could it be possible to have a widget with popular new topics or editors picks from the other site to encourage cross interaction for bilingual users?

3) I plan to advertise as mysite.com. Any issue (in SEO, or other) if the new user visiting mysite.com will be redirected as per their locale? Either en as per their locale or default to fr site? The registered user as per their preferences?

4) does above setup require 1 or 2 xenforo licenses?

Any comments, suggestions or examples or similar setup are welcome.

That's it for now.

I can't comment on the add-on but from an XF licensing standpoint, that would require 2 licenses.
i don't like that :(. We have one site, in multiple languages, on different domainnames... so multiple licenses are required, even if it is the same site, same database, same everything, just the language...

i don't like that :(. We have one site, in multiple languages, on different domainnames... so multiple licenses are required, even if it is the same site, same database, same everything, just the language...
I don’t understand how it can be the same database if the posts in one site are in a different language to posts in the other. Would they be the exact same forums and threads but with some kind of auto translate?

Or would you have one half of the same forum in one language and the other half (with similar category nodes) but in the other language.

Last edited:
I don’t understand how it can be the same database if the posts in one site are in a different language to posts in the other. Are they the exact same forums and threads but with some kind of auto translate?
First of all, i don't want to take over this topic ;)
well... it is kind of difficult setup at the moment... We have a drupal site, with a custom written forum. It is very expensive to maintain this, wo we are looking for a forumsoftware... The setup now, is that every item in the database has the language with it, so it is the same structure, but the content is off course different. Now i'm writing here in english, but for example if there was also a xenforo.nl i would write in dutch...
Or would you have one half of the same forum in one language and the other half (with similar category nodes) but in the other language.
yes it is like that.

Last edited:
Top Bottom