Can some one tell me how much of a hit that I am going to take if I dump wordpress?

Gregory Lynn

Right now I am running Wordpress and Xenforo with a Xenforo bridge and I have a semi dedicated hosting account and I am always hitting the CPU limit. Can some one please tell me how much of a it I am going to take if I dump wordpress and convert the articles to Xenforo posts?

EDIT: how much of a hit from google?

Greg

If you really care about your site (making money now, etc.) I would not dump WP so soon. My drone site has WP and XF and the WP seems to have vastly better results from Google.....

No one knows exactly how google weighs stuff, but I suspect that it sometimes considers WP posts and articles a bit longer lasting and credible than forum post. Also, the WP SEO tools do work (although they are not magic, they do some white hat stuff).

If, on the other hand, you want to experiment - do it and tell us all the results! I'm personally worried about doing it so I've stayed with the two. Every metric I can see says that I am correct to do this.....but, of course, I could be wrong.

Right now I am running Wordpress and Xenforo with a Xenforo bridge and I have a semi dedicated hosting account and I am always hitting the CPU limit. Can some one please tell me how much of a it I am going to take if I dump wordpress and convert the articles to Xenforo posts?

EDIT: how much of a hit from google?

Greg
Yep Google seems to like WordPress more, you could try RSS your posts over to Xenforo using the Feeder built in Xenforo.

My problem ia something is causing massive CPU spikes, the CPU is spiking to 100% on my semi dedicated hosting account and its always from wordpress.

P.S. I am running a Xenforo to Wordpress Bridge.

Greg

I got rid of WordPress some months back, and converted (manually) the important content in to XenZines. I did it for various reasons, but mainly it was a pain maintaining two systems and getting WordPress visitors on to the forum was at times impossible.

I get good traffic through the articles still, if not more traffic. Made sure the urls were redirected and Google happily absorbed the change.

There is a write up of my experience here https://xenadmins.com/threads/repla...me-page-is-xenzine-articles-the-solution.285/

Now I'm running 100% XenForo with Featured Threads as my portal. Life is much simpler now :)

My problem ia something is causing massive CPU spikes, the CPU is spiking to 100% on my semi dedicated hosting account and its always from wordpress.

Greg
I had a cpu load crash once turns out it was some post counter that ate into mysql for a particular video we posted (thousands of hits at once), crashed the entire server, a bloody good server too. My point is WP Add-ons are your enemy here most likely, should start by eliminating or improving (if possible) what you have. I used the bridge from here for some time and never had any issues with it, it was usually some poorly coded/outdated add-on I was clinging on to.

Last edited:

Greg

Make sure you use Wordfence and/or other security plug-in's to throttle or block requests over X amount - it has lots of settings. It's likely your (and every) Wordpress site is constantly probed and that causes problems.

Also, make sure you have a good WP Cache scheme.

WP, if it's running without attacks and probes, should not take much bandwidth.

You should be easily able to confirm all of this by watching your apache logs and google analytics real time. If you see lots of requests, but not a lot of official visitors (as per google), you know that black hat robots are likely making your site spike.

Make sure you use Wordfence and/or other security plug-in's to throttle or block requests over X amount - it has lots of settings. It's likely your (and every) Wordpress site is constantly probed and that causes problems.

Also, make sure you have a good WP Cache scheme.

WP, if it's running without attacks and probes, should not take much bandwidth.

You should be easily able to confirm all of this by watching your apache logs and google analytics real time. If you see lots of requests, but not a lot of official visitors (as per google), you know that black hat robots are likely making your site spike.
I just blocked a ton of 3rd world countries and I have set throttling in wordpress and my cpu usage has not went over 25% so I am going to keep wordpress now. Thank you everyone for all your help.

Greg

Greg
Disable pingbacks, many people use this to send out DDoS attacks

I don't have any forums per say that are profitable and thriving, however I do have some Wordpress sites and I would never get rid of them. Google absolutely loves Wordpress and most the time all three search engines have your site indexed before you really get started. You can do what you want but I wouldn't even consider it. JMO

I dumped wordpress for various reasons and I didn't see any damage done to my traffic:

upload_2014-8-6_15-26-41.webp

I myself have considered this, but until there is a CMS add-on for Xenforo where we can schedule articles or at the very minimum draft an article then Wordpress will stay.

In addition I already have established tags and categories which would be time consuming to migrate across..

Top Bottom