XF 1.5 can "Proxy Image" be made permanent ?

erich37

Question, please.....

when I am uploading an image into the Forum via the function "image URL" in the Editor, same as I did here:

https://xenforo.com/community/threads/img-test.111438/

Is there a possibility (or already build in feature in XF) which lets me make this "Proxy Image" being permanent ?

Meaning: is it possible to save "Proxy Images" (which are linked from a third-party website) onto my own server/website ?

Many thanks!

:)

Where are the proxied images stored?

And if the proxy is ever disabled, will all those previous images disappear from their posts if they've been taken down from the third part host in the meantime?

They are stored on your server.

Ah, found them thanks.. stored separately from the usual attachments in the image_cache directory.

I'd also love to see an option to enforce thumbnails on proxied images.

Although, thinking about this again I imagine permanently proxying images may upset some users who use those regularly updating signature images.

Last edited:
I'm just trying to figure out how the cache lifetime and cache refresh work together.

Cache lifetime - proxy images expire and are deleted
Cache refresh - proxy images are re-proxied

Do these events happen automatically by cron, without requiring a hit on a post containing that image?

If using both, does the cache lifetime automatically get extended when the cache is refreshed?

It seems then that cache refresh should always be set to a value lower that the cache lifetime.

I assume if I were to set a cache lifetime of 0 days (permanent) and cache refresh of 7 days, then each 7 days the image would be refreshed. If the external image died in the mean time, would the cached image now also be dead or would the previously cached image still carry on being served?

Do these events happen automatically by cron, without requiring a hit on a post containing that image?
Lifetime removal is based on cron. Refreshing is based on requests.

If using both, does the cache lifetime automatically get extended when the cache is refreshed?
Yes.

I assume if I were to set a cache lifetime of 0 days (permanent) and cache refresh of 7 days, then each 7 days the image would be refreshed. If the external image died in the mean time, would the cached image now also be dead or would the previously cached image still carry on being served?
The previous image should still be served.

Top Bottom