Third party Can not search Chinese

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just searched for

如果支持中文搜索,絕對優先購買商業版本^^​
and it showsed this thread. Does that mean i can search chinese?​

Whoa! I wasn't aware that Sphinx supported CJK! This is good, since:
The search is written in a pluggable way, but it only supports MySQL full-text at this point. Sphinx is planned as it's a must have for any reasonable large board.
Which means someone could write a plugin to support this, taking care of the need :) This definitely helps me make up my mind, now :D

Thanks for Andy's long technical passages.That's helpful.
The failure of opening the Chinese market by VBB demonstrated that they ignore China market and they didn't show due working service and respects to Chinese customers who bought the license.Chinese admins bought the same license as U.K. guys had but they got different after-sale service.Does VBB team issue the Chinese languages package timely?Does VBB team answer questions from Chinese customers promptly and efficiently?That's the fact.
I admit that Discuz and Phpwind are the dominant platforms in China right now.That's because many foreign forum packages(VBB/IPB etc.) were designed for none-CJK countries and they did intend to cater to the requirements from CJK users.How can you image a product not designed for China users can sell well in China markets?Many Chinese admins still like to pay for the license due to its stability and safety compared with Discuz,even though they can't support CJK searching well.
I'm sure Xen can have a bright prospect in China if Xen can give more considerations to CJK users.At least CJK would be its aimed markets and they didn't intend to design Xen for non-CJK countries only.
Whatever,I will pay for Xen since it's really an creative forum platform to me.

Thanks for Andy's long technical passages.That's helpful.
The failure of opening the Chinese market by VBB demonstrated that they ignore China market and they didn't show due working service and respects to Chinese customers who bought the license.Chinese admins bought the same license as U.K. guys had but they got different after-sale service.Does VBB team issue the Chinese languages package timely?Does VBB team answer questions from Chinese customers promptly and efficiently?That's the fact.
I admit that Discuz and Phpwind are the dominant platforms in China right now.That's because many foreign forum packages(VBB/IPB etc.) were designed for none-CJK countries and they did intend to cater to the requirements from CJK users.How can you image a product not designed for China users can sell well in China markets?Many Chinese admins still like to pay for the license due to its stability and safety compared with Discuz,even though they can't support CJK searching well.
I'm sure Xen can have a bright prospect in China if Xen can give more considerations to CJK users.At least CJK would be its aimed markets and they didn't intend to design Xen for non-CJK countries only.
Whatever,I will pay for Xen since it's really an creative forum platform to me.

quite rignt!!!

Who can tell me [Limitation] mean?
I tried hard to find an appropriate hanzi, so someone correct this if it doesn't fit.
Limitation = 无法 mysql
Xen can't work CJK searching out.It would still be a problem like other english forum package.
Yes, sadly. Until Sphinx or other support addon is made, vanilla XF [XenForo without addons] will not be able to search for Chinese and Japanese characters. This is due to MySQL.

I'm not sure on Korean, though, as the language uses spaces. Time to make a test thread~ :D

Well, it makes me feel a bit disappointed. :(
Me as well, however there is not much they can do as it is a limitation with the Database. :( Like I said, the glimmer of hope is in plug-ins.

I created a thread in Korean, and was able to find it through search. However the problem here is that mysql fulltext only queries for more than 3 individual characters. Since many Korean words do not meet 4 characters or more [before a space], they are not found. So in the case of Korean, it works, but ... only kind of.

http://xenforo.com/community/search/101911/?q=돌아갈수&o=date

Xen will solve this problem if they consider CJK as its aimed potential market.
Unfortunately,IMO,they don't intend to do that.That's the key issue.

It is a third-party plug-ins I worry, because there is no guarantee that will continue to develop.
I don't think we can rely on plug-ins.Xen should realize CJK would be a big markets and deserve their effort to enhance CJK searching,or they don't have the motivation to work this problem out.

Reactions: Lin
We need the Chinese search support.
onion%20(3).gif

Xen will solve this problem if they consider CJK as its aimed potential market.
Unfortunately,IMO,they don't intend to do that.That's the key issue.
Currently they're focusing on other locations; they're likely to implement this later.

Also, I believe they already intend a Sphinx search feature in the near future, just are working on the forum as it is now.

Patience is all thats needed; I highly doubt Mike and Kier will hang you out to dry on this. 

Currently they're focusing on other locations; they're likely to implement this later.

Also, I believe they already intend a Sphinx search feature in the near future, just are working on the forum as it is now.

Patience is all thats needed; I highly doubt Mike and Kier will hang you out to dry on this.

Sphinx can be used in a shared host?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom