Can my forum be like the Resources page?

creation

I was looking at different forum solutions, and the xenForo "Resources" page is actually a lot more of what I want my forum to be like. If I but xenForo can I configure my forum in that fashion?

Hi Brogan, thanks for the quick reply! Darn, was hoping I could set it up like that out of the box. Why not just sell that style of "forum" as a separate product? Do you directly offer development services, and if so at what rate?

The basic idea of my forum would not be a downloads type thing like the Resources page is now, I basically just want the structure of having categories on the left, and filters at the top, so that visitors can pick posts based on specific interests.

Hi Brogan, thanks for the quick reply! Darn, was hoping I could set it up like that out of the box. Why not just sell that style of "forum" as a separate product? Do you directly offer development services, and if so at what rate?

The basic idea of my forum would not be a downloads type thing like the Resources page is now, I basically just want the structure of having categories on the left, and filters at the top, so that visitors can pick posts based on specific interests.

I'm afraid that's not possible for 2 reasons:
  • The Resource Manger needs parts of the XenForo Forum License to work.
  • The Discussion for a Resource is actually just a thread in a forum that is displayed there ;)

There's an Addon that changes the forum structure to be tabbed for each category, similar to what it sounds like you want.

Azhria - Nuh uh, each resource page looks/acts like a mini-forum, which is what I want.
VincentU - I wouldn't mind paying for the full license to have both the forum and the resource manager, it just seems like a lost revenue opportunity for people who just really need that by itself.

RobParker - Thanks! Do you know which Addon does that?

RobParker- aaaah! I totally missed that! Sorry, I was replying to Brogan and you had already answered the question, don't know how my eyes missed that one.

Yes, my forum would be heavily based on the Resource Manager page functionality, but there are some crucial tweaks that would probably require professional development. Using the Resource Manager for example, I want another tab in the actual resource page, saying something like "Users Who Use This Resource" where people can add themselves to it to show that they used.

I'll do my own research, but are there any developers on here that are taking on new clients and provide quotes for customization of the Resource Manager? I'm guessing since the Resource Manager hasn't even been released yet, there probably aren't too many people (other than maybe the creators of XenForo) offering services for it.

I think currently aside from the developers, Chris Deeming might be the best person to ask as I believe he has access to a pre-release and has been having a play this week.

Once its officially released I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone to help :-)

I'm a bit excited! Before I bumped into XenForo's "Resource Manager", the closest solution I could find to what I want to do was Vanilla Forums. While the basic stuff was free, the cooler stuff was reserved for the paid monthly hosting clients who they charged based on what seems to be pretty low "pageviews" quotas, which kind of annoyed me. Plus they didn't seem to have as much of a dynamic support/development community as XenForo does.

Thanks to everyone for their help! Very pleasant welcoming/experience from a new fan of the product.

Top Bottom