XF 1.4 Can i split my Xenforo based forum into two different forums

DFI

Hi,

I am currently having a Xenforo based Forum and now i am planning to move some of its section/forums to a different domain with another Xenforo License.

Can this be done self or through Import option ?

Brogan

XenForo moderator
Staff member
The importer won't allow you to selectively choose which forums to import so you will either need to make a copy of the forum you are importing from and delete any unwanted content, or import the whole site and delete the unwanted content afterwards.

DFI

The importer won't allow you to selectively choose which forums to import so you will either need to make a copy of the forum you are importing from and delete any unwanted content, or import the whole site and delete the unwanted content afterwards.
This would be also be a good alternative. And just to ask as precaution.

In anycase importing data from existing to new forum won't effect the existing forum. Right ?

RobParker

Why would you use the importer for this? Would you not simply make a copy of the database and point the new forum to it (obviously making sure you had purchased a second license, etc). Once you have two databases, you'd then delete via the front end the content from each one that you only wanted on the other.

Have I oversimplified that somehow?

DFI

Why would you use the importer for this? Would you not simply make a copy of the database and point the new forum to it (obviously making sure you had purchased a second license, etc). Once you have two databases, you'd then delete via the front end the content from each one that you only wanted on the other.

Have I oversimplified that somehow?
Thanks. Reason i am hesitating to make a copy because then many unwanted things would also get imported which may make a clean Xenforo unclean.

Even if i kept on deleting non-required data, there would be many residue left which i am trying to avoid.

EQnoble

Thanks. Reason i am hesitating to make a copy because then many unwanted things would also get imported which may make a clean Xenforo unclean.

Even if i kept on deleting non-required data, there would be many residue left which i am trying to avoid.
Well I suppose you could make the xf instance copy, delete the stuff you don't want from copy 2, then import that copy into a clean install without retaining content IDs and you should achieve pretty close to what I think you are looking to do.

Haven't thought about it before 2 seconds ago but without thinking much (I am good at that) I would guess that it will scrub as much of the residue away that is possible without re-entering all of your content manually.

DFI

Well I suppose you could make the xf instance copy, delete the stuff you don't want from copy 2, then import that copy into a clean install without retaining content IDs and you should achieve pretty close to what I think you are looking to do.

Haven't thought about it before 2 seconds ago but without thinking much (I am good at that) I would guess that it will scrub as much of the residue away that is possible without re-entering all of your content manually.

Looks a better idea to try. Thanks. Will proceed and give it a try to see the output.