Can I point several domains at the same xenForo install?

CTXMedia

When I ran vB3.8.x I had several domains that all pointed to my forums; e.g.: cyclechat.co.uk - cyclechat.net - cycle-cafe.net

The forum software worked okay with this, and depending on which domain you used, set an appropriate cookie and off you went. All fine and dandy.

When I migrated to IPB 3.1.2 I found that it didn't work this way. You set your site URL and it is used throughout the templates etc. restricting you to just a single domain.

So ... after all that waffle ... my question is: Does xenForo support multiple domains for a single forum instance/install?

Thanks,
Shaun :D

I run IIS because I develop a lot in ASP.NET.
If you read my post you'll see I said, I can understand why people want it if they need IIS...but if someone is using IIS for just PHP sites, its pointless.

My point still remains: A copy of Apache 2.x with PHP 5.x will work much better on a standard linux box of the same specs. Feel free to challenge me on this - its fact, I'm not just being a smartass :p :D

Yes, that is exactly what occurs.

I haven't got a XenForo install to play with right at this moment, but basically, I think that the cookie is being set for the original domain.

Can you find a setting in XenForo Admin for cookies, and if there's a value, tell us what is basically looks like. I'd be looking to change this to / potentially.

If you read my post you'll see I said, I can understand why people want it if they need IIS...but if someone is using IIS for just PHP sites, its pointless.

My point still remains: A copy of Apache 2.x with PHP 5.x will work much better on a standard linux box of the same specs. Feel free to challenge me on this - its fact, I'm not just being a smartass :p :D

It's not really pointless running PHP with IIS. I'd ask that user to test his server again, with PHP 5.3. I'd also have to say that Joomla isn't the best script to be honest.

If a windows server user rely on a fancy GUI they shouldn't be running a server, period.

If I need a GUI-free server, Windows 2008 Server Core loads only the core essentials, not the GUI. (I'm taking a course for MSCE certification in Server 2008...not because I want to, but due to the local job market.) I don't know how performance stacks up since on the web side, I've used FreeBSD/Apache since 1997, and have had no issues or complaints. I'll stick with what works, even if it's not ideal.

I haven't got a XenForo install to play with right at this moment, but basically, I think that the cookie is being set for the original domain.

Can you find a setting in XenForo Admin for cookies, and if there's a value, tell us what is basically looks like. I'd be looking to change this to / potentially.

This is the cause I expected, but I cannot find any setting for cookies. In the past when I used VB, there were modifications to allow sites to share cookies.

For XenForo:
Add to config.php Xenforo
$config['cookie']['domain'] = '.fxdev.com';
And set domain for global cookie = .fxdev.com

If you do it all via the cmd line like me, should be fine. for example I could have chat.xfdev.com and forum.xfdev.com

my vhost (get to by nano /etc/apache2/sites-enabled/site) would look like this;

Code:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	ServerName	forum.xfdev.com
	ServerAlias	chat.xfdev.com
	ServerAdmin info@xfdev.com

DocumentRoot /var/www/path/to/xenforo/
	<Directory  /var/www/path/to/xenforo/>
		Options here...
	</Directory>
</VirtualHost>

AFAIK that *should* work, it did with my IPB install. I haven't tested this.

Moving back to the original topic, there is a point raised to which I can't find a definitive answer. Many of my forums can be reached from multiple domains, that's easy enough to achieve. What I would like is clarification whether this is acceptable under the terms of XenForo's licence. It probably is as there is only one installation but it would be nice to know for sure before I start migrating forums to the XenForo platform.

For XenForo:
Add to config.php Xenforo
$config['cookie']['domain'] = '.fxdev.com';
And set domain for global cookie = .fxdev.com

This reminded me that I had done something similar trying to get the WordPress bridge working. Once I removed that line it worked. Since the domains are different, me setting the cookies to a specific domain screwed everything up.

Moving back to the original topic, there is a point raised to which I can't find a definitive answer. Many of my forums can be reached from multiple domains, that's easy enough to achieve. What I would like is clarification whether this is acceptable under the terms of XenForo's licence. It probably is as there is only one installation but it would be nice to know for sure before I start migrating forums to the XenForo platform.
I would use the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the page, and make your question as precise as possible, preferably with examples.

Top Bottom