Can I point several domains at the same xenForo install?

CTXMedia

When I ran vB3.8.x I had several domains that all pointed to my forums; e.g.: cyclechat.co.uk - cyclechat.net - cycle-cafe.net

The forum software worked okay with this, and depending on which domain you used, set an appropriate cookie and off you went. All fine and dandy.

When I migrated to IPB 3.1.2 I found that it didn't work this way. You set your site URL and it is used throughout the templates etc. restricting you to just a single domain.

So ... after all that waffle ... my question is: Does xenForo support multiple domains for a single forum instance/install?

Thanks,
Shaun :D

For IIS,

Create the A DNS record on the DNS Server (or using the DNS Manager MMC thing), then in the IIS Manager, add the A record (alias.site.com) to the site as a binding address, click on Bindings. It's basically the same way of getting www.site.com and site.com working together on the same site.

Talk to your host. There is a a way to do it through DNS.

If your forum install is on domain.com through the DNS on another domain mydomain.com will show the same install from domain.com.

If you go to domain.com"/index.php/blah blah", you other domain will also show the same page, but on the different domain, which will read "mydomain.com/index.php/blah blah/" will show the same thing. I have a subdomain that shows everything of another site on a different domain and host. I have permission to do so though, and I'm sure there is a script involved. All I had to do was edit my DNS.

In a nutshell, mydomain.com shows the same as domain.com, but is not a redirect or forward.

Most people "forward" there domains. If someone visits mydomain.com, you can set it to instantly redirect to domain.com through your domain settings. If you don't know how to do this, ask your host, but the option should be in your host cpanel somewhere under domains if you have one.

For IIS,

Create the A DNS record on the DNS Server (or using the DNS Manager MMC thing), then in the IIS Manager, add the A record (alias.site.com) to the site as a binding address, click on Bindings. It's basically the same way of getting www.site.com and site.com working together on the same site.

What he says.... That's the best way to do it.

Apache isn't as nearly as good as IIS on Windows.

Before you complain about Windows, it's as secure and offers as good, if not better PHP and HTML performance.

PHP is way more stable on Linux - there's no way you get better PHP performance on a Windows box ;) I do agree however that (on windows) IIS is better than Apache. It however is poor when handling PHP or most 'non-MS' based extensions.

(I'm speaking as a web host and server administrator who uses multiple versions of Windows and multiple Linux distros on a daily basis with clients)

PHP is way more stable on Linux - there's no way you get better PHP performance on a Windows box ;) I do agree however that (on windows) IIS is better than Apache. It however is poor when handling PHP or most 'non-MS' based extensions.

(I'm speaking as a web host and server administrator who uses multiple versions of Windows and multiple Linux distros on a daily basis with clients)

Pure PHP performance on Windows, is as good as on Linux. I might want to publish a few benchmarks.

Pure PHP performance on Windows, is as good as on Linux. I might want to publish a few benchmarks.

Please do! :)

default php windows server config vs default Linux (centos) config. 32bit.

One such example is the link in my sig...a heavy traffic site...it performed HUGELY better on cpanel, even with cpanel/whm overheads.

Edit: already been done! http://www.formboss.net/blog/2010/02/hosting-php-linux-vs-windows-benchmarks/

Php was twice as fast on ubuntu as it was on windows (apache). As the author said, unless you NEED IIS there is very little reason why you should be running windows for php. If a windows server user rely on a fancy GUI they shouldn't be running a server, period.

One such example is the link in my sig...a heavy traffic site...it performed HUGELY better on cpanel, even with cpanel/whm overheads.

Edit: already been done! http://www.formboss.net/blog/2010/02/hosting-php-linux-vs-windows-benchmarks/

Php was twice as fast on ubuntu as it was on windows (apache). As the author said, unless you NEED IIS there is very little reason why you should be running windows for php. If a windows server user rely on a fancy GUI they shouldn't be running a server, period.

Not Apache for Windows!

I run IIS because I develop a lot in ASP.NET.

For IIS,

Shamil,

I actually have my 'atwork.com' domain setup this way. The issue is that logging in doesn't work.

Top Bottom