XF 1.4 Can I Include Full Forum Path in Email Notifications?

Steve Freides

I find this

Include full message text in watched thread/forum notification emails.

but I would like to include the full message path.

I typically see the notifications in my email, but then have another tab open to the forum and read them directly that way rather than click on the link in the email. It would help me if the notification gave the full path to the message in question.

Thanks in advance.

-S-

The URL is there but it doesn't show in HTML message reading mode. It's in two place, the one you mention and also the title of the thread near the top of the notification email. I would like to _see_ the full path so that I can navigate to it.

Right now, I have to wave my mouse over it and wait a second, and it's tiny type in my email reader at the bottom of the window and, if the URL is too long (usually the case) then I have to wait another second or two for the full URL to pop up.

Am I being too picky here?

Actually, I have to change that - the URL isn't what I want, it's the path to the message so that I can navigate to it while reading the forum in my browser, e.g.

<forum_name>/Welcome/Announcements/<thread_title>

Thank you.

-S-

Actually, I have to change that - the URL isn't what I want, it's the path to the message so that I can navigate to it while reading the forum in my browser
I don't understand what you mean.
The URL is the path.

However, there are no options related to it, other than the one you mentioned.

Anything else would require custom development, or you can try editing the email templates to suit your requirements.
Debug mode would need to be enabled to do that.

I want the navigation path, not the URL. XF seems to store things as

<forum_home>/threads/<thread_name> - I can put that into a browser and see the thread but that is not what I want.

I would like to see:

Message from <forum_name>

<forum_node>/<forum_name>/<sub_forum_name>

<thread_title>

so that, I can click through that hierarchy to find the message without clicking on the link in the email which would open up yet another tab. There doesn't need to be a clickable link for my purposes.

Have I explained it better this time?

Thank you again.

-S-

Unfortunately not.
I don't really understand what it is you are trying to do but it would require customisation of some sort as there are no configurable options related to that.

I want to see this:

Home > Forums > Welcome to the Forum > Announcements >

which I just copied from our XF installation, in the email I receive notifying me of something new in that forum.

I want see what I have in light blue as part of the notification email I receive, then use the forum tab already open in my browser to navigate to it without clicking on anything in the email notification.

Not trying to be a pain, just trying to explain myself. Since the information is available, it seems to be nice to include it.

How else might one handle receiving a few dozen emails every day about new forum activity? If I click on the link, I open a new tab in my browser for each email I receive, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I typically deal with them 10 or more at a time.

Thank you again for the conversation.

-S-

Top Bottom