1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Trombones13, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Trombones13

Trombones13 Well-Known Member

Anyone using CafePress for their site/forum/service? I know it got brought up way back when people were discussing XenForo-branded t-shirts/mugs, but hadn't seen anything after that. I was thinking about doing the free, basic shop once my site's more popular (so it would actually be of use :p) to sell t-shirts and buttons and other fancy things. Anyone have experience with them, their quality, etc.?
  2. EQnoble

EQnoble Well-Known Member

I have, they are great and have never had a problem with them.
  3. Trombones13

Thanks--have you happened to try Zazzle, Printfection, and/or Spreadshirt as well? I've been looking around and am hearing bad things about CP's printing quality in comparison to the other names I mentioned.
  4. steven s

steven s Well-Known Member

I use Cafepress to print yearly calendars.
    As long as you are not using anything remotely trademarked, stay away from Zazzle.
    A chapter of a car club wanted to use their chapter logo on merchandise and despite multiple letters and emails from the organization governing the use, they refused.
  5. physicspirate

physicspirate Well-Known Member

Those sites look pretty cool. If I had any sort of brand established, or some users interested in buying something, I would totally setup something like that.
  6. Floris

Floris Guest

7. mrGTB

mrGTB Well-Known Member

Na, I've always found those type of buy (mug/t-shirt) things a complete and utter waste of time. Reminds me of Blackpool in summer. There you can buy mugs and T-Shirts saying you visited Blackpool. :)
  8. Mikey

Mikey Well-Known Member

I got a XenFans mug from Cafepress. It's massive. here's a picture:
    Nix likes this.
  9. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

Yes we do , and even have a cafe press widget in the sidebar.. Our yearly calendars are a big draw.
  10. ArnyVee

ArnyVee Well-Known Member

We've sold some items in the past using CafePress. Small profit margin, but even if you are coming out just a little bit ahead of costs, it helps on the branding side of things to have merchandise with your logo/information on them (y)
    Peggy likes this.
  11. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I've purchased a couple of mugs and a t-shirt from them for personal use. Did a Light It Up Blue mug.
    Nice company to work with.
  12. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

I did some shirts a few years back, and members complained that half of them were poorly printed, or smelled like mold (There was an issue in delivery). I spent a about 2 weeks arguing to get them reimbursed or refunded, so I will not use them, nor buy from them now.

I go through the same company as my friend now, and just have them printed alongside his orders.
  13. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

Zazzle.com is a good company as well.
  14. Trombones13

Last night, I was reading some comparisons between the different ones and several complained that the shirts from CafePress were poorly printed.
  15. FredC

FredC Well-Known Member

I think it greatly depends on the quality of the graphics submitted. Could be totally off base though because ive yet to order anything from CafePress myself.
  16. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

A lot of the time it is CafePress, and the not the graphics. Several print designers I know stopped using them, and warn customers not to use them, as they had a batch of shirts that all came out like crap.
    FredC likes this.
  17. Fufu

Fufu Well-Known Member

How about a xenForo mug?
  18. -GR-

-GR- Well-Known Member

I suggest using a local screen printer for tshirts. We had 70 shirts printed which came out to be about $7.50 a shirt cost. Which is much cheaper then other places. Granted we don't have the tshirts marked up a whole lot but it is mainly to get the name out. We also had hats embroidered by the same guy, they worked out to be around $9.00 a hat but we also didn't get as many of those made. I plan on making a bigger order of hats because they seemed to be more popular.

I would like do coffee mugs and pens at some point as well as a calendar.
  19. Peggy

Peggy Well-Known Member

I started this not too long after the forum here opened, when I was on staff. But there wasn't much interest, so I dropped it.
    I'm not on the staff any longer, so it's not my place to do it now. :)
  20. AdamD

AdamD Well-Known Member

Regarding Cafepress, I haven't used them to sell website related stuff, but I did have them print off the nasa blue marble image on some coasters and a mug, came out lovely.