Buying new wireless router

Andy.N

Time to retire my Linksys WRT54GL router for one that has better speed, range and durability.
Many of the new devices in the house are capable of 802.11 n speed but the router is only a/b/g

Any suggestion?

I will tell you right now that get a router with an actual antenna. I have worked on too many peoples issues with built an antenna. The worst one of them all is the cisco wireless router with the weird oval shape. I throw those away at any client house or business I see them at.

If anything stay away from cisco but that IMO . I have thrown 40 of them away this year alone because of intermittent connectivity issues.

Also the netgear range extenders are excellent. I have them paired up with a netgear router at six houses.

If you do get one with built in antenna get anything but cisco.

Avoid Linksys. They use to be my all time favorite, but their newer models just suck (poor signal, reboots, slower speeds, ect...) (n)

An unlikely brand that is growing on me is TP-Link. Their stuff isn't as small and compact, but OMG can their stuff "sing". Extremely strong signal and their wireless is so fast, that you'll think you were physically connected. :cool:

I should say that I live in a high rise building and I can reach signal on the 6th floor with the router on the 2nd floor.
I also prefer to have powerful external antenna.

I'm looking to get one that with better speed and longer range.

Any model in particular?

I should say that I live in a high rise building and I can reach signal on the 6th floor with the router on the 2nd floor.
I also prefer to have powerful external antenna.

I'm looking to get one that with better speed and longer range.

Any model in particular?
Anything TP-Link

To put it into prospective. I can connect using just my wireless usb adaptor from the ground floor, when the unit is 8 floors up in the city.

I have netgear one and it is very good. It is the N model but you can not go wrong. One thing i do like those is mine has a usb port on it. This makes it very handy to use is as a network storage and for every computer to get . Any netgear I have not went wrong with clients or any dlink N routers. But with DLink i have always had to update firmware even when i just got it.

I will have to take a look at TP-link because normally with usb stick you do not get a good signal at all.
TP-Link router is outstanding, but the USB surprised me. Some how it picks up everything within 1 block. I get my neighbors behind me, on another street (weak & not stable, but there).

That looks good but only downside is not have QOS . That basically means logical routing in simple terms. So if you have a skype call going on it is going to route more bandwidth towards keeping the calling clarity good . It can also route for gaming too. If you do not mind not having that then it is a good buy.

I personally look for QOS but that is preference only.

<yes i know explaining QOS can mean several things but I am breaking it down very basic>

That looks good but only downside is not have QOS . That basically means logical routing in simple terms. So if you have a skype call going on it is going to route more bandwidth towards keeping the calling clarity good . It can also route for gaming too. If you do not mind not having that then it is a good buy.

I personally look for QOS but that is preference only.

<yes i know explaining QOS can mean several things but I am breaking it down very basic>
http://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Wirel...?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1335585661&sr=1-43

They have other models (for less), but that is what Google turned up

I will tell you right now that get a router with an actual antenna. I have worked on too many peoples issues with built an antenna. The worst one of them all is the cisco wireless router with the weird oval shape. I throw those away at any client house or business I see them at.

If anything stay away from cisco but that IMO . I have thrown 40 of them away this year alone because of intermittent connectivity issues.

Also the netgear range extenders are excellent. I have them paired up with a netgear router at six houses.

If you do get one with built in antenna get anything but cisco.

You have to be talking about the Cisco branded Linksys, not an actual Cisco Aironet WAP.

Top Bottom