Add-on Bumper

Lawrence

Bumper is an add-on that will allow members to bump threads to the top of the thread list. This add-on supports threads; however, two other companion add-ons will be released that supports resources and media items (they will need the bumper add-on to be installed and enabled to work). Threads can only be bumped in nodes that have the option set.

Bumped threads will not show in the whats-new or in new posts as they do not have any new content. The thread table is untouched so uninstalling this add-on will put threads back into their normal order depending on last post date.

Features:
  • Members can be given x bumps per day (user group permission)
  • Threads can be set to be bumped for a maximum number of times (node permission). Once the maximum number of times is reached the thread can no longer be bumped unless that permission is increased for a specific user group for that node
  • Sticky threads can also be bumped
  • Bumped threads can also be sorted by filter
  • Bumped threads will expire after x days via options (defaulted to 7 days)
  • Members can bump their own threads or others with the permission
  • Bumped threads can not be re-bumped until their current bump expires (done via cron)
  • Admins may set per node if a member can double post in their own threads or others (node permission, set to yes for both on install to ensure all performs as normal)
  • Admins can go to AdminCP -> Content -> [EAE] Bumper to view bump stats (requires view stats admin permission). Here admins can also select bumps to expire.
Screen shots:

bump_stats.pngforum_view.pngpermissions_node.pngpermissions_ug.pngsticky_bump.pngthread_view.png

Looks interesting, does it add a bump button in the editor?

No, as I would expect that forums that are set to allow bumping of threads would most likely have double-posting disabled (no editor shown).

I can add one in if the reason to do so I find intriguing, 🧐

I can add one in if the reason to do so I find intriguing, 🧐
The more knowledgeable of users such as ourselves (perhaps), would know not to double-post but want a way of bumping without simply posting "Bump".

The quick reply editor would likely be the first place I'd look for such a button.

Looks interesting, does it add a bump button in the editor?

The more knowledgeable of users such as ourselves (perhaps), would know not to double-post but want a way of bumping without simply posting "Bump".

The quick reply editor would likely be the first place I'd look for such a button.

I'll add an option to either show the bottom bump button above the editor, or in the editor itself, :)

Added an option to show the bottom bump button above the editor or in the editor (left of the post reply button).
Added a new permission to allow multi-bumps: bumped content can now be re-bumped even if the bump has not expired.

Related add-on BumperRM is at RC 2. The resource manger bumper works the same as Bumper, with it's own expiry date option, and own set of bumper permissions.

This is amazing - definitely looking forward to the release of this!

As I understand it, when a bump 'expires', the thread will fall back down to where it should have been originally in the sort, is this correct? If so, would there be the potential option to have it retain its 'bumped' position, but then be eligible for another bump?

As I understand it, when a bump 'expires', the thread will fall back down to where it should have been originally in the sort, is this correct?

That's correct.

If so, would there be the potential option to have it retain its 'bumped' position, but then be eligible for another bump?

That's not possible because the bump date has to be null to keep threads in their correct order after bumps expire. If I change that behaviour, threads that never have been bumped, but have recent replies, will always stay below expired bumped threads and I think that would only cause confusion for members.

Thanks for showing interest, :)

That's not possible because the bump date has to be null to keep threads in their correct order after bumps expire. If I change that behaviour, threads that never have been bumped, but have recent replies, will always stay below expired bumped threads and I think that would only cause confusion for members.
Totally understand - it's a bit of a different objective from what you were going for with this addon. Either way, I think after some consideration I actually prefer your method of handling things, especially with the limits you've provided.

Bumped threads will not show in the whats-new or in new posts as they do not have any new content. The thread table is untouched so uninstalling this add-on will put threads back into their normal order depending on last post date.
Then what's the point of bumping it? The whole point should be to bring the thread to the attention of other members so it should show them in what's new and new posts.

Then what's the point of bumping it? The whole point should be to bring the thread to the attention of other members so it should show them in what's new and new posts.

Bumping a thread without actually posting in it provides no new content, making the what's new kind of misleading. The point of this add-on is to allow those with the permission to push their threads to the top of the thread list (a temporary sticky, so to speak). This is meant for forums that contain classifieds, services, anything that members may want to promote.

This add-on also prevents double posting, if an admin decides that in certain forums he/she does not want consecutive posts being made by the same member.

When will this addon be available, i hope it will be free?

Bumper will be a paid add-on, unfortunately. BumperRM and BumperMG will be released as free (but they will require the Bumper add-on to be installed).

I'm hoping to release Bumper and BumperRM later this week. BumperMG maybe late next week.

Just an update. Added an option to limit re-bumping of content in minutes. Added a general permission to by-pass that limit. Also added a node permission to bump sticky threads.

Also, if you have BumperRM or BumperMG installed and disable Bumper, those 2 add-ins will be disabled at the same time. If you have one or both of those add-ins installed and decide to uninstall Bumper, you will receive a warning message to uninstall those first (they have to be uninstalled to uninstall the Bumper add-on).

I'm hoping to release Bumper and BumperRM later this week. BumperMG maybe late next week.

Missed the self-imposed release date because I added a widget and added New bumps to the What's new tabs. A permission was added to view the widget. This permission is also used to view the New bumps on the What's new page.

The widget creates one new query and one query per content type. Those queries are required to check if a member can view the forum/category the bump came from.

Have a save start to the new week.

Bumper and BumperRM has been released. BumperMG (XenForo Media Gallery) is still being worked on and I hope to have it released next week.

Any updates?

I re-worked/re-purposed all the bumper/bumperRM/bumperMG permissions and they will be released as 1.1 in the near future, I'm just working on user feedback.

As for bumperMG, members can bump media items and albums that belong to a category, I'll be looking into adding a permission to allow bumping of albums (and media items within these albums) that do not belong to a category, when bumper 1.1 and bumperRM 1.1 is released.

Top Bottom