Building with XenForo 2 is back

Over the next few weeks, we'll be adding to the Building with XenForo 2 video series, starting today with a look at how to make your custom add-on content taggable!

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

IMG_0200].png

Last edited:
It would be super awesome if there was documentation on these over-ride things. So many elements buried that we can take advantage of but just don't know about.

I'd still love to see a modal tutorial with an inline form.

eg,

on main page
ADD button, triggers modal with a form.
form has inputs and selects
1 select has options, and the ability to Create a new option if the current option desired doesn't exist. (add new option)
and then it gets created and becomes part of the select option list without leaving the modal.

How about working outside of the PAGE_CONTAINER? Let's build a homepage on XenForo that doesn't (necessarily) look like XenForo

Amazing as always!

It would be super awesome if there was documentation on these over-ride things. So many elements buried that we can take advantage of but just don't know about.

eg,

on main page
1 select has options, and the ability to Create a new option if the current option desired doesn't exist. (add new option)
and then it gets created and becomes part of the select option list without leaving the modal.
Would be amazing for somebody like me. My splash page, home page for my website is designed outside of xenforo mainly because of my lack of knowledge of coding. Not xenforo fault it’s my own fault. I always wanted to have a website, but jumped into it without going to school for web development / coding. So I’m relying on templates that are purchased. Not a bad thing but, I would love for everything to be structured inside of xenforo. So yeah any help with coding and development with xenforo I’m all game for. I watched this tutorial and loved every bit of it. From what I see is I need to set my computer up to work with php. Then I need to understand the php language and then apply that knowledge with xenforo coding. Seems simply and difficult at the same time. But I am gonna to put forth my best effort to learn. I’m actually watching this learn php tutorial in 5 hours on YouTube lol. I’m desperate to learn. But php is only one of many coding languages. And xenforo combines all of them for different functionality’s. But I will def start with php. I’ll go back and watch @Kier older tutorials on xenforo as well. 😀

Thank you for the help! My splash page also has Java built into it as well. lets Say I follow this tutorial to a T and I get to the part where you put the html code. Would I just be able to copy the entire code from my splash page index file and put it into this example provided. Then what would be the next steps after that. How would xenforo find the files / sub content that is needed to display my splash page.

Thank you for the help! My splash page also has Java built into it as well. lets Say I follow this tutorial to a T and I get to the part where you put the html code. Would I just be able to copy the entire code from my splash page index file and put it into this example provided. Then what would be the next steps after that. How would xenforo find the files / sub content that is needed to display my splash page.
Assuming you follow this tutorial and end up with a controller that responds to the homepage route at localhost/tutorial with the template returned from actionIndex(), you can return a different template with actionFoo() responding to localhost/tutorial/foo and another with actionBar() responding to localhost/tutorial/bar.

If that sounds like gibberish, watch this for some more clarity:

Assuming you follow this tutorial and end up with a controller that responds to the homepage route at localhost/tutorial with the template returned from actionIndex(), you can return a different template with actionFoo() responding to localhost/tutorial/foo and another with actionBar() responding to localhost/tutorial/bar.

If that sounds like gibberish, watch this for some more clarity:

Just watched and that is amazing! I'm a start messing around with this in the weeks to come.

eg,

on main page
This?

Thanks a ton for resuming this series. Looking forward to them.

PS: Can we have one on list filters please, i.e. a list of notes (that is paginated - already saw the pagination tutorial) and has the filterBar to apply filters to that list?

These are great - look forward to the new ones. :)

Would appreciate anything that looked more into the Notification system, and adding new notifications. :)

Thanks @Kier 👍 for resuming the series.

Please also consider the following in future:
  • Custom content type add-on integration with What's New and Latest Activity/News Feed.
  • How to implement Prefixes and Custom fields for content in a custom add-on?
  • How to implement Rating & Reviews of XFRM in a custom add-on?
  • How to implement the Comments system (like XFMG) that also support the Write before Register?

Thanks a ton for resuming this series. Looking forward to them.

PS: Can we have one on list filters please, i.e. a list of notes (that is paginated - already saw the pagination tutorial) and has the filterBar to apply filters to that list?
Yes, I have one lined up to demo the Filterer concept that i sneaked into XF a few point releases back.

Top Bottom