Brushes with Fame

Fred Sherman

Kind of inspired by Brogan's thread, but in the real world.
Here's mine. I offer it as proof of my geek status.
I was traveling with a co-worker from DFW to Las Vegas, the typical sales conference kind of meeting. I travel way too much. No one should be Executive Platinum with American Airlines before turning 40, but I was. The good part back then is you could pretty much guarantee on being upgraded to first class on any flight. This one was no different.
Have you ever seen someone famous, but they don't look quite the same in person, enough that you think it might be them, but you aren't sure? Well, thats what it was like in the gate waiting to board.
First class board first, so we took our seats as did tis individual. Still not quite sure. The flight attendant starts asking the first class travelers what we would like to drink before takeoff and when I heard the voice, all doubt was gone.
Leonard Nimoy was sitting one row up and across the aisle from me. Mr. Spock. Star Trek legend and boyhood idol.
My coworker was also a pretty good friend. We had worked together for many years over several companies. And he knew how big a Star Trek fan I was. I watched them all. Every episode of every series, including the deadful Enterprise and the last few lousy movies.
He's trying to get me to talk to him, get an autograph or something. But I won't. He keeps pushing me.
Finally, I tell him that this was my boyhood idol and part of the reason I work with computers in the first place. He's probably going to some convention in Vegas and those are the largest collection of disfunctional virgins on the planet. He'll have enough questions and sign plenty of autographs soon enough. The best thing I can thing of to thank him for the hours of enjoyment he's brought me is to just leave him alone and grant his anonymity for a few hours at least.
90 minutes later, we land and exit the plane. As we walk up the ramp, Leonard Nimoy stops, turns around to me, says thank you and extends his hand. I shake his had and tell him he's welcome before he turns and walks away.
Thats my brush with fame. Nothing spectacular, no memoribilia or autographs. But to me, since my actions were genuinely offered and geuninely appreciated, it means so much more than any tengible object ever could.

I have met a few NFL players in my day, Eddie Johnson the great linebacker (just found out Eddie Johnson died from Google) and Cody Risen of the Cleveland Browns, I met Cody while walking through the airport, he is one hell of a nice guy for someone who use to block the meanest defensive lineman in the world, he was limping from his NFL injuries and told me he was a traveling salesman, I met Eddie Johnson when he was still playing for the Browns in a bar where he was making an appearance.

I had a chance to shake hands with Larry Csonka the hall of fame player for the Miami Dolphins at an industrial auction, he told me not to tell the others there since I was the only person who recognized him, he told me he was producing and hosting a hunting show on cable TV when I asked him about his current activity.

More on Larry Csonka

http://www.larrycsonka.com/innerPage.aspx?pcode=Bio

Thats my brush with fame. Nothing spectacular, no memoribilia or autographs. But to me, since my actions were genuinely offered and geuninely appreciated, it means so much more than any tengible object ever could.

Awesome story. Mr Nimoy is such a genuine man. Indeed one of my favorite people as well.
I met him at a Star Trek convention (yes I am also a "trekkie") and found him to be very friendly and down-to-earth, no pun intended.

What a marvellous story, yes indeed, denying yourself the thrill of the moment granted Leonard a seldom found moment of sanity in an ever maddening World, bravo to you, good man. :)

Nice anecdote.

Where we live in London, there are lots of movies/programs filmed right outside the apartment and in the surrounding area, but it's usually at stupid o'clock in the morning and I'm damned if I'm getting up then to see some celeb' :D

Jenson Button also ran past the apartment when he did the Triathlon.

A friend of mine sat next to one of the members of the Red Hot Chili Peppers on a flight to the US - don't ask me which one.

LOL, I sat in the third row at a Robert Plant concert in 1993 and we made eye contact for about 15 seconds while he was singing, it was a smashing concert, wish I could have taped it.
umm yeah that's definitely what I would call a brush with fame...

LOL Peggy, that is about as famous as you can get there, at least for a kid that grew up on Led Zeppelin !!

Yes Grant, Google can kill, quite contrary to the Google Killers that have all passed away by now !!

I used to work in the music biz (late 70s mid 80s) and have met many rock stars and musicians. Mostly those passing through NYC. Also roadied for a few. To date myself, last major gig was Live-Aid.

I had been on tv in a nation wide martial arts tournament in my younger years ( my 15 mins of fame , took 3rd in the US for my division at the time), I have also trained with Fabian Nunez, Ed Parker (who you probably don't know but was famous in my circle , He trained Elvis, the three stooges and many other famous peeps and I just happen to owe his memory my life along with my first sensei), Charles Kalani, Jr. ( who you may know as Toru Tanaka) and Billy Blanks to name a few (there is a lot more actually but they are only famous if you follow martial arts...) In my first decade of training I actually have met more famous people the the totality of the rest of my life. They became surrogate instructors not just in fighting but in psy, mental and physical analyzation. This to me means more than the famed attributes that came along with them.

I was in the airport VIP lounge en route to Seattle a couple of years ago. While there, I noticed Bill Gates sitting comfortably in the corner, enjoying a drink. I was meeting a very important client who was also flying to Seattle, but she was running a little bit late.

Well, being a straight forward kind of guy, I approached the Microsoft chairman, introduced myself, and said, "Say, I wonder if you would do me a favor. "I'm sitting right over there", pointing to my seat at the bar, and I'm waiting on a very important client. Would you be so kind when she arrives as to come walk by and just say something like, "Hey Grant"?

"Sure, no problem".

I shook his hand and thanked him and went back to my seat. About ten minutes later, my client showed up. We ordered drinks and started to talk business.

Sure enough a couple of minutes later, I felt a tap on my shoulder and true to his word it was Bill Gates.

"Hey Grant", he said with a wink.

I replied, "Not now Bill, can't you see I'm in a meeting"?

I had been on tv in a nation wide martial arts tournament in my younger years ( my 15 mins of fame , took 3rd in the US for my division at the time), I have also trained with Fabian Nunez, Ed Parker (who you probably don't know but was famous in my circle , He trained Elvis, the three stooges and many other famous peeps and I just happen to owe his memory my life along with my first sensei), Charles Kalani, Jr. ( who you may know as Toru Tanaka) and Billy Blanks to name a few (there is a lot more actually but they are only famous if you follow martial arts...) In my first decade of training I actually have met more famous people the the totality of the rest of my life. They became surrogate instructors not just in fighting but in psy, mental and physical analyzation. This to me means more than the famed attributes that came along with them.

In another earlier lifetime, I was into martial arts. I studied under Larry Kelley, and had a chance to meet Billy Blanks at a few seminars. Also, Steve "Nasty" Anderson. And sure, Ed Parker (father of "American kenpo") counts as famous in those circles. Funny, for about 10 years of my young adulthood, all of the names you mentioned were "gods." In their own way, they probably still are.

In another earlier lifetime, I was into martial arts. I studied under Larry Kelley, and had a chance to meet Billy Blanks at a few seminars. Also, Steve "Nasty" Anderson. And sure, Ed Parker (father of "American kenpo") counts as famous in those circles. Funny, for about 10 years of my young adulthood, all of the names you mentioned were "gods." In their own way, they probably still are.

Oh, forgot to mention my other "brushes" with fame. Meatloaf played the piano at my grandmothers house, I was there but it was the mid 70's and I was just a kid. I met Red Sox pitcher Bill Lee a few years later over pizza at a small restaurant near home. Probably about all that I can remember.

EDIT:

I totally forgot...I went to high school with some famous folks. Uma Thurman was in the class ahead of me. Not remotely famous at the time, but she did date one of my friends. Eric Mabius (from Ugly Betty) was a classmate. We hung out in 7-8th grade, but that was about it.

Top Bottom