Brothers of the briar

Ye, and I got an addiction to worry about already. I am addicted to internet and games ;-; I don't really want another addiction :^)

Nicotine is a terrible, stink and expensive addiction. (I'm an addict)
Actually, a good pipe tobacco smells nothing like cigarettes or even cigars. The room notes (the smell of the smoke) is quite nice and typically doesn't get the "stale stink" that cigarettes and some cigars do.

Cigarette vs pipe: It all depends on the treatment they give for the tobacco.
Cigar: I haven't experienced nice cigar smell so far. They were all stink like hell.
I have YET to smell any cigarette smoke (packaged cig's, not handrolled) that smelled any better than a wet donkey's butt. :LOL:
Pipes on the other hand, even the non-aromatic blends have a totally different odor to them - most people find it pleasing if they aren't anti-smoking nazis.
Cigars - again, depending on the quality of the 'gar. Cheap 'gars smell... well, like cheap 'gars. A good cigar (I'm talking the one in the the $10+ per stick range) are better, but again, they don't even compare to pipes.

pipes stinks and cigars to, after smoke it people stinks like skunk

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

pipes stinks and cigars to, after smoke it people stinks like skunk
Same can be said of aftershave, cologne and sweat and hairy unwashed pits. :p
Exactly how many pipe smokers are you around, or have been. And not being smartass, but I'm not talking about the mind altering herb type. ;)
I will agree that cigarettes and to a large extent cigars can have an unpleasant after-effect for a while after imbibing in them.

I find myself in the need for more shelving. Guess I need to dump this thing and put up some wall shelving units. I used to use this to store ammo on (can easily hold around 70,000 rounds of assorted pistol and rifle ammo and still roll on the wheels). The first row of quart jars is empty - waiting on 1lb or Lane 1Q and 1lb of Lane RLP-6 to come in. All the rest are occupied. :)

pipestuff.webp

Last edited:
Same can be said of aftershave, cologne and sweat and hairy unwashed pits. :p
Exactly how many pipe smokers are you around, or have been. And not being smartass, but I'm not talking about the mind altering herb type. ;)
I will agree that cigarettes and to a large extent cigars can have an unpleasant after-effect for a while after imbibing in them.
Not to be a smartass Tracy, but tobacco itself is a mind altering drug. (according to the US judicial system and just about every local police outfit hence the justification for it's regulation).

To be honest though the "mind altering one" you mention is FAR less dangerous than tobacco of any sort and if you distill them down to their active ingredients you end up with a very different picture of which one is more dangerous.

Tobacco - using a solvent like water and just letting tobacco hang out in a tub of water produces a poisonous concentration in the active ingredient (nicotine) that can kill you with a few drops. To boot nicotine mimics a neurotransmitter called acetylcholine and that screws with receptors waiting for it. Nicotine is literally one of the most invasive things you can buy anywhere and take recreationally when speaking of terms of neurology in that it also sets off chain reactions of other hormonal and neurotransmitters that can play hell with your emotions, eating habits etc besides being a poison stronger than arsenic or cyanide (30mg lethal dose).

"that other one" - using a solvent like pressurized co2 you end up with a concentrate of the active ingredient that your body has a system meant to process it (your endocannabinoid system) and you can't die from it. THC and CBD bind to the CB1 and CB2 receptors respectively so you literally have a system meant to process it rather than relying on controlled poisoning.

However all this is aside because we all die and if you don't believe that you are stupid, so if a man (or woman) wants to enjoy the effects a natural plant gives him when drying and smoking it, go live your life and let him live his.

As far as the smell, when a law is made that allows women to be arrested for making me choke on the smell of their over applied beauty products, or when people stop eating in public outside of an actual restaurant offending others with the smell of their nasty food, when the highway next to my house contributes no emissions that effect my health...I will consider the smell of any kind of smoke as a social issue to be discussed otherwise people are just...well...blowing smoke.

And speaking of blowing smoke, it's time to roll up. Later earthlings.

As far as the smell, when a law is made that allows women to be arrested for making me choke on the smell of their over applied beauty products,
ROFLMAO you obviously are of the younger generation who has not sat on a bus full of women on their way to work BEFORE the advent of feminine beauty products. Same can be said of a locker room full of jocks after 2 hours on the field before the advent of male beauty products.
Natural body odor will chock you worse than that of the masking agents.

Not to be a smartass Tracy, but tobacco itself is a mind altering drug.
Yep, but a legal one in all 50 states and under federal law. Now, that other one.. legal in 25 states (I believe) for medical use, and 4 states and DC for recreational use. I'll keep the legal 50 state legal version, thank you very much! And yes, nicotine is "mind altering"... but not to the extent nor duration of THC. But that's another discussion for another area.

However all this is aside because we all die and if you don't believe that you are stupid, so if a man (or woman) wants to enjoy the effects a natural plant gives him when drying and smoking it, go live your life and let him live his.
Exactly... hell, as a patrol officer back in 1982 I would have supported legislation legitimizing that left handed tobacco and making it a tax revenue source like tobacco and alcohol products. And this is (and was) from someone that's never smoked the stuff (nor ate it in brownies, etc).

ROFLMAO you obviously are of the younger generation who has not sat on a bus full of women on their way to work BEFORE the advent of feminine beauty products. Same can be said of a locker room full of jocks after 2 hours on the field before the advent of male beauty products.
Natural body odor will chock you worse than that of the masking agents.

To be honest the natural smell of a living human be it fresh and clean or pungent and musky is much less offensive to me than sprays people put on in order to smell like something they are not so if anything it will chock (think you meant choke) you up worse than masking agents and not me.

Most perfume if not made from animal products like the ones listed here: http://discovermagazine.com/2014/oct/0-animal-odors-perfume are made from man made chemical processes which I would rather not be exposed to if not needed. Even in the best case it is usually made from undigested crap from sperm whales so I am good there too.

Just because you have adapted to the smell of perfumes (which by the way was found to be used as far back as ancient egypt thus existed WAY before the theoretical instance where you put the bus before the perfume or whatever that old saying is about a donkey and a cart) doesn't mean other's olfactory systems aren't agitated by them worse than they would by let's say a body odor, unpleasant or not. This is a preference in which we disagree where I would say even a bad and unpleasant body odor is better than a perfume which deadens my senses for hours and gives me massive headaches.

Now to bring this back to smoking pipes and not the origins of my preference and opinions, the origins of the word perfume are from the latin 'per fumum' which literally means through smoke and ties back to their ritual burning of plants herbs spices and other aromatics because they believe their gods appreciated the aromas as much as they did.

Yep, but a legal one in all 50 states and under federal law. Now, that other one.. legal in 25 states (I believe) for medical use, and 4 states and DC for recreational use. I'll keep the legal 50 state legal version, thank you very much! And yes, nicotine is "mind altering"... but not to the extent nor duration of THC. But that's another discussion for another area.
I would argue and say that tobacco has a WAY larger psychological effect and can say that first hand as I have gotten angry and yelled at people when I was very addicted to ciggs and didn't have one...on the other hand with the "other" it's more like..bummer better luck next time and in fact have been able to hold back justifiable anger that any average person would have normally snapped at.
I also had horrible withdrawals which effected my eating habits when I quit smoking cigarettes but when I stopped smoking the other for a year (just for a real world test) with no negative side effect other than a crazy buildup of pain from very bad arthritis and a lack of concentration due to this amount of pain I deal with when unmanaged. As chemical pharmies make me sick (and am not willing to use the bottomless prescription of oxy that every doctor has tried to write me), and being allergic to all antibiotics I have come into contact with at this point I will side with my state laws until the federal govt gets someone with a real set of brass ones that will actually do a study to reassess the convoluted scheduling scheme which is based on non fact.

As a person who has done both for years I figure it would proper to chime in with the facts on this as my experience matters more than the nonsense propaganda which criminalized it in the first place and had since been drummed into peoples heads (and is subsequently the reason legalization is being slow rolled throughout the country so as not to draw attention as to how ridiculous making it illegal in the first place was) before I just drop it and move on which of course I will do after this response in respect you and your thread (and also not bring up the details of how it was at one time illegal and punishable by death for the American colonies to grow the tobacco which is what ultimately paid for their freedom from England, thank you John Rolfe). Left or right, pick your plant and put it in your pipe and smoke it...then enjoy freedom.

Exactly... hell, as a patrol officer back in 1982 I would have supported legislation legitimizing that left handed tobacco and making it a tax revenue source like tobacco and alcohol products. And this is (and was) from someone that's never smoked the stuff (nor ate it in brownies, etc).
Exactly.

I will never smoke tobacco out of a pipe again (probably) but I support you being able to choose how to enjoy your life. Your smoke hurts less than the millions of cars spitting out crap that I can do nothing about so light up my friend.

Last edited:
I also had horrible withdrawals which effected my eating habits when I quit smoking cigarettes
I dipped Skoal & Copenhagen from the age of 13 to 41. One Friday I decided to stop and didn't have any of those "cravings, headaches or anger periods" that some people get. Depends on the individual. What I was referring to was the attempt at operating equipment. Under the influence of that left handed stuff is a LOT worse than the legitimate weed. ;)

Ironically.. we can smoke in public locally (just not inside a public building or if it has no smoking signage up).... went to a downtown festival that is held on the old downtown streets. Turns out that you could not smoke anywhere within that blocked off area. Asked under what ordinance that was being enforced and got blank looks from every city official I asked (several patrol officers and a few city hall big-wigs).

And as for what this has to do with a pipe (the above).. more and more you are seeing smoking coming under the gun - even in areas where it doesn't impact others. Like, tell me exactly how my smoking in my own personal vehicle as I drive down the road impacts (from the smoke) the yuppie family in the electric car next to me as we motor down the highway at normal speed. :rolleyes:

I dipped Skoal & Copenhagen from the age of 13 to 41. One Friday I decided to stop and didn't have any of those "cravings, headaches or anger periods" that some people get. Depends on the individual. What I was referring to was the attempt at operating equipment. Under the influence of that left handed stuff is a LOT worse than the legitimate weed. ;)
That's again down to physiology, biology and genetics and as you said down to the individual.

The same way you quit one tobacco product vs my experience quitting or even comparing when you felt a good sensation or a habit fixed while dipping versus when I tried Skoal I felt like I was brushing my gums with tree bark applies the same way (physiology, biology and genetics) as if you took a couple puffs out of my tin of grandpa's ole lefty shreds you would probably be left useless for a couple hours having never loaded those receptors before where I could roll a tube or pack a couple pipes and be good to go. It's just down to how an individual is built and their general tolerance level.

Ironically.. we can smoke in public locally (just not inside a public building or if it has no smoking signage up).... went to a downtown festival that is held on the old downtown streets. Turns out that you could not smoke anywhere within that blocked off area. Asked under what ordinance that was being enforced and got blank looks from every city official I asked (several patrol officers and a few city hall big-wigs).

And as for what this has to do with a pipe (the above).. more and more you are seeing smoking coming under the gun - even in areas where it doesn't impact others. Like, tell me exactly how my smoking in my own personal vehicle as I drive down the road impacts (from the smoke) the yuppie family in the electric car next to me as we motor down the highway at normal speed. :rolleyes:

I believe actually that any property owner is legally allowed to ban smoking on their property as well as hospitals schools ect, in the case of a block party...unless it was promoted and organized by the town (township, city, district, ect) the organizer or organizing body I believe can post no smoking and legally enforce it even without written law by having you removed.

I hear you though...when it is a public place on roads your taxes helped pay for and you are told you can't smoke...it's akin to rationalizing how the concept of a "free speech zone" is constitutionally legal.

On the roads...lol, until we have emission free 100% friction-less vehicles that don't require rubber I think people should generally stop worrying about other people who want to inhale smoke and concentrate on creating charges that actually matter.

unless it was promoted and organized by the town (township, city, district, ect) the organizer or organizing body I believe can post no smoking and legally enforce it even without written law by having you removed
It was the city.. and it being a public place, they cannot "prohibit" people from coming in. They ran into that when they tried to charge for access to the entire old downtown area once before - there were businesses open and they were charging shoppers to go in using public streets/sidewalks. Got kind of nasty for a while and they quit charging the public general entry fees.

it's akin to rationalizing how the concept of a "free speech zone" is constitutionally legal.
The issue is that there is no legislative action that allows them (here locally) to prohibit it. Any other time of the year you are perfectly fine to walk down the sidewalk smoking.
In a nutshell, the no smoking ordinance prohibits
Smoking shall be prohibited in all places of employment and enclosed public places as well as the following locations:
  1. Boarding and waiting areas of public transportation facilities;
  2. Zoos; and
  3. City parks, playgrounds, and recreation areas.
Smoking is prohibited within 20 feet of outside entrances, operable windows, and ventilation systems of enclosed areas where smoking is prohibited.
here locally.
And the exceptions:
Exceptions
Notwithstanding any other provision of this division to the contrary, the following areas shall not be subject to the smoking restrictions of this division:
1. A private residence, unless it is used as a child care, adult daycare or health care facility;
2. A retail tobacco store;
3. A private club;
4. A facility under the ownership, custody or control of another governmental or educational institution;
5. An outdoor area, including an outdoor patio, that is adjacent to a bar or restaurant and that is served by one or more employees of such bar or restaurant, but which is at least 20 feet from any outside entrance, operable window, or ventilation system serving an enclosed area where smoking is prohibited by this division and has at least three sides which do not extend to the ceiling or is not solid;
6. A hotel or motel room rented to a guest;
7. A designated smoking area in a city park;
8. A bar; and
9. A bingo hall.
As for choice.. if you don't meet one of the above exceptions - it's banned period, the business has no choice.

If you are in the middle of the street where you have to walk, you are well outside the 20ft zone of exclusion.
It's something I'm going to be bringing up at the next city council meeting most likely.

Top Bottom