Bring back Multiple Attachment Uploads (XF 2.1+)

doublespaces

It used to be quite nice to dump a dozen photos into the editor and call it a day. Now we have to upload images one by one and this is quite obnoxious. I'm unsure of the technical reason for why this is not possible anymore, but I propose finding the root reason and implementing a second option for people.

Upvote 14
View attachment 205800

? I just uploaded a buch of files and never had a problem to do so?
You haven't read the original post correctly.

dump a dozen photos into the editor

You can only drag and drop one file onto the editor at a time.

You can upload multiple pictures using OUR "Attach files" button though.

Okay so is it possible to extend the editor or change it for one that supports drag and drop of multiple items?
We're not changing the editor. Froala, the developers of the editor, are aware of the suggestion and it has quite a lot of support so hopefully it is something they will add in the near future:

https://wysiwyg-editor-roadmap.froala.com/public/ideas/3555

You can only drag and drop one file onto the editor at a time.
I was aware of Drag & Drop functionality, but didn't realize that "dump a dozen photos into the editor" implied Drag & Drop - probably becasue I never use that feature.

Thanks for the clarification.

This isn't the success you might think it is.

It hasn't been implemented via drag and drop into the editor directly and it hasn't been implemented through the normal image plugin (the image button in the editor and the upload tab).

The mulitple upload feature they have added to Froala 3.2 is exclusively for their new image manager plugin. Something which, in all likelihood, we have no interest in implementing.

But this isn't the end of the suggestion. It may be something we can bake in support for ourselves if we modify the Froala code directly.

This isn't the success you might think it is.

It hasn't been implemented via drag and drop into the editor directly and it hasn't been implemented through the normal image plugin (the image button in the editor and the upload tab).

The mulitple upload feature they have added to Froala 3.2 is exclusively for their new image manager plugin. Something which, in all likelihood, we have no interest in implementing.

But this isn't the end of the suggestion. It may be something we can bake in support for ourselves if we modify the Froala code directly.
I'm looking to eventually migrate from my existing forum software platform (highly comparable to XenForo) and invited 6 of my power users to demo the XF forum. This was the single biggest complaint when compared to my existing platform.

I read through the current implementation of Froala to use their file manager. It requires end users to:
  1. To actually know and understand Insert Files. You lose everyone except power users at this step.
  2. To click on Insert Files.
  3. To drag-and-drop multiple files to upload.

Yup. We almost certainly won't be implementing that.

There may be other options we can consider in the future.

Top Bottom