1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Branding Removal Question-Hurt SEO??

Discussion in 'XenForo Pre-Sales Questions' started by Kenneth Holland, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Kenneth Holland

Kenneth Holland Active Member

Hello Everyone,

I was just about to buy XF but then I noticed it was a lot more than I thought with the branding removal.

Don't get me wrong...I understand and am not complaining..I just need to decide if i really need to remove the branding.

Really the only reason I would remove it would be for SEO purposes. So I want to get the community's opinions on this: Will it great hurt my SEO/rankings?

I could really use saving the money right now so this is a sizable decision for me.

Thanks for everybody's time.

Ken

2. Chris D

Chris D XenForo Developer Staff Member

I don't understand why it would hurt your SEO ranking.

If I'm honest, I haven't seen many people who pay for the branding removal.

3. Sadik B

Sadik B Well-Known Member

It will affect your site's SEO in absolutely no way whatsoever. The only real reason to remove branding is if your site is a professional service / company etc and you do not want to be displaying other company brand names.

Vodkaholic likes this.
  4. kkm323

kkm323 Well-Known Member

I don't think branding free option would improve your SEO. I really don't see how this can help you achieve that?

5. MagnusB

MagnusB Well-Known Member

It won't hurt your SEO, the only way it matters is that you have one extra outbound link on every (xenforo) page. I doubt it will have any practical implications.

6. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

The branding link will not affect your sites SEO... Don't get consumed by much of the nonsense floating around the web about SEO penalties and such nonsense with links. If it was all that easy to affect your website negatively, then we would all be out intentionally taking out the competition by having links placed in sites pointing at them. Google does not work that way, thus the branding link will not have any affect on your actual ranking.

7. akia

akia Well-Known Member

Just remove the link, but leave the branding intact. Simples

8. Chris D

You can't do that.

From the license agreement:

All copies of the Software must contain the same proprietary notices that appear on and in the Software, including all copyright notices embedded in the Software, which must remain unaltered from the original and visible at all times, unless by specific prior arrangement with XenForo Limited.

9. akia

akia Well-Known Member

The copyright notice is unaltered, it says the same text, its just the link that has been removed.

10. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The link must remain.

Yorick likes this.
  11. akia

akia Well-Known Member

What have a unrelated do follow link at the footer of every single page of my site. not a chance. can't you remember when vBulletin tried this one also.

12. Steve10

Steve10 Well-Known Member

If you don't have it then you are breaking the license agreement.

13. akia

akia Well-Known Member

I can't see in the agreement anything about the link, it just says the notices, which to me is the text, which does remain intact in its original form.

14. Slavik

Slavik XenForo Moderator Staff Member

The terms of purchasing your license are quite clear.

If you remove the link it is no longer the same and is altered from the original.

Yorick likes this.
  15. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

After the latest Penguin algorithm, launched 24th April 2012, Google now DOES work that way, and negative links pointing to your website, definitely have an affect on your rankings. This has also been proven by a few well known black-hat SEO forums online, in experiments.

This is also the reason why negative SEO companies have been sprouting up all over the net since the update. It should not be the case, as competitors can harm you, and Google had previous stated they would simply discount/ignore such links, but in the latest update they reneged of that stance.

Luxus likes this.
  16. Chris D

What is the problem with having a dofollow link at the footer of every single page? It doesn't affect your SEO ranking.

17. Steven UK

Steven UK New Member

Correct. Although if you had 200 do follow links, then it probably would, but that is not the case here, and neither would it be advisable. One single link at the bottom, to a well-known and respected website (as Xenforo is), will not create a problem with SEO.

Yorick likes this.
  18. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

From what I know, only very big boards like IGN have purchased a branding free license. I'm sure XenForo would be more popular if those boards would keep the branding, though.

19. Anthony Parsons

Anthony Parsons Well-Known Member

You're obviously not reading the license agreement very well then, as it clearly states "unaltered" which means if you adjust it in any way, you just altered it.

From your own words, you have admitted to breaking XF licensing agreement.

20. Luxus

Luxus Well-Known Member

Translations of the notice are fine I think for non-english speaking sites.