1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Boycott Amazon.com?

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by kyrgyz, Sep 21, 2011.

1. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

2. Hoffi

Hoffi Well-Known Member

If you want to boycott every company with unhealthy halls or something else, you must bake your own bread and hunt your meat.
  3. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

That's not just another company. The behemoth of online commerce has a market value of $110 billion but it can't take care of the basic work environment requirements.
  4. grant sarver

grant sarver Well-Known Member

5. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

6. dieketzer

dieketzer Well-Known Member

imagine the heat working in an australian kitchen.
    whynot likes this.
  7. whynot

whynot Well-Known Member

50-55 degrees only when it's 45 outside,that's nothing compared to 102... :)
    dieketzer likes this.
  8. dieketzer

102f is 38c. thats the same temperature as my house on a summer evening.
    Brett Peters likes this.
  9. jmurrayhead

jmurrayhead Well-Known Member

But Amazon has the money to cool the warehouses down. People could die from the heat.
  10. dieketzer

if that were the case the world population would be half what it is today.
  11. jmurrayhead

Seriously? Is that your scientific answer? A lot of people have died from heat-related incidents.
  12. dieketzer

more people havent died from heat-related incidents.
    in all honesty, 38c isnt life-threatening hot. there are millions of people that spend long days working in that kind of heat.
  13. jmurrayhead

When I was a kid, I nearly blacked out just from playing basketball outside. It was only in the high-90s, approximately 36-37 C. Yes, other factors combined with heat lead to death, like dehydration. The point is, it is possible and preventable. Their merchandise is NOT worth even 1 employees life.
  14. Edrondol

Edrondol Well-Known Member

Temperature has a little to do with heat related illness/death, but the real factor is hydration. You can work in really hot weather all day long if you have the hydration and the ability to take breaks. I have a feeling that Amazon refuses to allow people to take frequent breaks and hydration sneaks up on you if you're not used to it.

But when it's obvious that the business is not following well known and enforced safety standards your taunts of "boo hoo" are callous and reprehensible.
  15. Forsaken

Forsaken Well-Known Member

They are generally not in a confined warehouse that probably lacks a lot in the way of airflow (The industrial fans don't do crap).

Also, depending on the humidity, it can get stifling in such a situation, which would further lead to issues. They're also lifting and moving things which is physical exertion, which again adds to it.

All in all you're comparing completely different situations and making an ass out of yourself.
    jmurrayhead likes this.
  16. petertdavis

petertdavis Well-Known Member

How much do you want to bet that Wal-Mart's public relations team had that article placed?
  17. Fred Sherman

Fred Sherman Well-Known Member

No kidding. Do you know what we call 102 degree heat during the summer in Texas?

A cold front.
    Phil Conway likes this.
  18. kyrgyz

kyrgyz Well-Known Member

This kind of speculations has nothing to do with the fact that Amazon is in the wrong. If Wal-mart is indeed behind the revelation, I have no problem with that. Let them put out each other's dirty laundry.
  19. physicspirate

physicspirate Well-Known Member

I order from amazon all the time, its the most convenient place to get things.
  20. Lucas

Lucas Well-Known Member

Random comment for the win?
    physicspirate likes this.