Bought XF & its awesome so far.. but

ennovations

Hey there guys! Nice to own such an awesome piece of software. Been playing with it since last 2 days & have customized many things already.

I want to know how can I remove the 'member's drop down list altogether & shift the "Recent Activity' option to 'Forums' so that my 'Forums' submenu reads :

Mark Forums Read > Search Forums > Watched Threads > What's New? > Recent Activity

Any inputs appreciated :)

You can hide the members tab with CSS:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> EXTRA.css

Add this code:

Code:
.navTab.members
{
	display: none;
}

Then you need to change the tab assignment for Recent Activity. You have two options for this:

1) Edit this file:

library/XenForo/Route/Prefix/RecentActivity.php

Change members to forums:

Rich (BB code):
<?php

class XenForo_Route_Prefix_RecentActivity implements XenForo_Route_Interface
{
	/**
	 * Match a specific route for an already matched prefix.
	 * @see XenForo_Route_Interface::match()
	 */
	public function match($routePath, Zend_Controller_Request_Http $request, XenForo_Router $router)
	{
		return $router->getRouteMatch('XenForo_ControllerPublic_RecentActivity', 'index', 'members');
	}
}

2) Or use the Nodes As Tabs addon as described in this recent update (#3):

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/update?update=1441

This is an advanced application of the Nodes As Tabs addon, but it should work well in this instance, and it has the advantage of not requiring file edits.

In either case (#1 or #2) you need to add the Recent Activity link to the Forums tab by editing this template:

Admin CP -> Appearance -> Templates -> navigation

Add the red code:

Rich (BB code):
		<!-- forums -->
		<xen:if is="{$tabs.forums}">
			<li class="navTab forums {xen:if $tabs.forums.selected, 'selected', 'Popup PopupControl PopupClosed'}">

<a href="{$tabs.forums.href}" class="navLink">{$tabs.forums.title}</a>
				<a href="{$tabs.forums.href}" class="SplitCtrl" rel="Menu"></a>

<div class="{xen:if {$tabs.forums.selected}, 'tabLinks', 'Menu JsOnly tabMenu'}">
					<div class="primaryContent menuHeader">
						<h3>{$tabs.forums.title}</h3>
						<div class="muted">{xen:phrase quick_links}</div>
					</div>
					<ul class="secondaryContent blockLinksList">
					<xen:hook name="navigation_tabs_forums">
						<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}"><li><a href="{xen:link 'forums/-/mark-read', $forum, 'date={$serverTime}'}" class="OverlayTrigger">{xen:phrase mark_forums_read}</a></li></xen:if>
						<xen:if is="{$canSearch}"><li><a href="{xen:link search, '', 'type=post'}">{xen:phrase search_forums}</a></li></xen:if>
						<xen:if is="{$visitor.user_id}"><li><a href="{xen:link 'watched/threads'}">{xen:phrase watched_threads}</a></li></xen:if>
						<li><a href="{xen:link 'find-new/threads'}">{xen:phrase whats_new}</a></li>
						<xen:if is="{$xenOptions.enableNewsFeed}"><li><a href="{xen:link recent-activity}">{xen:phrase recent_activity}</a></li></xen:if>
					</xen:hook>
					</ul>
				</div>
			</li>
		</xen:if>

You will note there is a convenient template hook you can use instead of this template edit (if you are comfortable with PHP code). Here is a code example for a template hook if you want to go this route:

http://xenforo.com/community/threads/how-to-create-a-bridge.28515/#post-331631

This looks like what I want to do....so let me get it straight.....

1. I need to update my existing Nodes as Tabs to the newest version?
(do I need to do anything there...add anything?)

2. I need to make that code change
(is this code change going to break during XF updates?).

Thanks!

1) Correct. Just upgrade to the latest version and do like in #3:

http://xenforo.com/community/resources/nodes-as-tabs.9/update?update=1441

That will save you a file edit for the tab selection. Normally you would have to edit the route file to change the tab selection for a specific page. But the latest update to the Nodes As Tabs addon lets you do this with link-forums. It's a slightly tricky thing to do but I have made it as easy as possible. And this solution is preferable to a file edit.

2) The template edit, yes. Nodes As Tabs handles the tab selection. The template edit adds the actual link underneath the tab.

Template edits survive upgrades. Though sometimes you need to revert outdated templates. It's a minor inconvenience at most.

Ok, I am close but no cigar!
I easily created a link forum - as in the older version - and it shows up in the top darker bar.

I added the template code in Red in the last example, and nothing changed.

I must be misunderstanding how to get it to show up in the bottom line of tabs........some screen shots enclosed. I want it on the lighter lower bar as the arrow indicates....

Update - I tried specifying "forums" as the tab, as that seems to be the group the bottom line of links is in, and that didn't do anything. It seems both the top and bottom lines are part of the forums ID.

Update #2 - I did it. For whatever reason, the template edit didn't take the first time...must have hit the wrong button!
Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 11.55.21 AM.webpwantitthere.webp

Assuming you want to do like the OP (put Recent Activity in the Forums tab) then you don't need to create a new tab (uncheck Display As Tab). Rather you need to use the option at the very bottom to assign it to an existing tab:

Screen shot 2012-07-17 at 8.21.59 PM.webp

Top Bottom