Boost Thread Watching and First Post Likes

Digital Doctor

Idea:
(1) Add Watch this thread to the Quick Reply area (as it is in the Full Editor).
(2) Add Like this Thread (aka First Post Like) to Quick Reply Area.

=== Mockup2 === more subtle Watch Like links.
watch-thread-at-end-of-thread-jpg.25301

===Mockup 1===
boost.first.post.likes.and.watches.webp

Rationale:
(1) Watching threads keeps people coming back and getting alerts ! Make it convenient to Watch threads.
(2) Xenforo enables sorting a forum based on First Post Likes. Unfortunately, when a thread is many pages ... First Post liking drops off alot (sadly). Make it convenient to Like the first post.

Upvote 9
Idea:
(1) Add Watch this thread to the Quick Reply area (as it is in the Full Editor).
(2) Add Like this Thread (aka First Post Like) to Quick Reply Area.

=========================
View attachment 17011
=========================

Rationale:
(1) Watching threads keeps people coming back and getting alerts ! Make it convenient to Watch threads.
(2) Xenforo enables sorting a forum based on First Post Likes. Unfortunately, when a thread is many pages ... First Post liking drops off alot (sadly). Make it convenient to Like the first post.

(3) Looks cluttered to me. What exactly is wrong using the watch and like links at the top?

I doubt people will overlook the like button link and/or not know what the like conveys. You could argue that the like being accessible in the area proposed by DD could allow for like abuse. The mind just doesn't work like that you read the opening post, you like, laughed or maybe agreed with the opening post and the automatic reaction is click like, maybe read a little more in the thread and maybe post.

Maybe I just don't understand the logic in this suggestion which may be the case

Eitherway, I still think it looks cluttered, messy and an unnecessary focus point.

I think you should read the whole thread before deciding to watch it.
More watchers = More alerts = more engagement = win.
The First Post Like [aka Like Thread] is far away when the last post is on page 2,3,4,5.....700.

What about watching then ?

Here's more subtle then.
[1] Thread Like and Thread Watch
[2] Watch

View attachment 25301

I'm merely posting my opinion DD i still think the placement still looks odd personally. That being said, it's really the devs you have to convince not me but the second mockup is better but not what I would call a solution it's not consistent or what I would call inline with the xenforo standard.

The watched being missed by people I still find hard to believe. Again, same rule with the likes being missed wouldn't the same also be said for reply being missed yet we see an abundance of replies being made on forums. The links being missed debate just doesn't wash with me personally because sometimes people don't care for watching threads but mostly it's down to laziness imo or that they just don't feel the need to like and/or watch a thread.

Like I said, it's not me you have to convince.

There is a difference between liking a thread and liking the first post imo. Watch Thread is clearly visible at the top right. So I'd leave this one to the recources / template mods.

Top Bottom