Bluehost, you failtard

Izagar

Whelp I just found out that Bluehost won't work with xenforo. They have some sort of apache thing that disables chrom 777 editting (or whatever you call it) so even if you try and change it, it changes back to a "safe" setting. Don't try getting xenforo on this host. >_>;

Have you tried installing it without the 777 permissions. Depending on their setup within Apache it might not be necessary as normal permissions will work and 777 is not needed. Having 777 permissions enabled among most hosting environment is not very secure. But double check and make sure it doesn't work regardless or contact them to see what you need to do. I doubt this would be the case as a lot of software would not work with them.

Have you tried installing it without the 777 permissions. Depending on their setup within Apache it might not be necessary as normal permissions will work and 777 is not needed. Having 777 permissions enabled among most hosting environment is not very secure. But double check and make sure it doesn't work regardless or contact them to see what you need to do. I doubt this would be the case as a lot of software would not work with them.

Xenforo requires chmod 777 on the data and internal data folders to be able to put stuff in there.

777 isn't always required, it depends what user Apache runs as. On mine I set it up to run as www-data, so I just assign ownership of those directories to that user.

777 isn't always required, it depends what user Apache runs as. On mine I set it up to run as www-data, so I just assign ownership of those directories to that user.

Yea but what are the odds a shared host uses those settings :rolleyes:

you don't know unless you ask, one of mine did and it stuck with me when I got a dedicated server.

I wasn't saying use that exact username, rather it may be setup like that, you need to ask the hosting company.

not sure what's going on but i do have one of my sites on bluehost which is running on xenforo small community forum but haven't seen any issues except their services and servers suck big time.

My BlueHost shared hosting plan has no problem with XenForo. Installed a bunch of them and they just ask me very nicely to remove unused databases (it's their policy that an account shouldn't have more than 1000 tables or something like that).

Well how could I can install it? >_<; It needs chmod 777 and the server itself throughs itself into a 500 error and changes it back to 755. Not me. I put it at 777.

Top Bottom